20" iMAC G5 (isight) service guide

P

PowerbookG417

hey anyone know where i can pick up a service guide for iMAC 20" with the isight. i need to pop in my HDD from my old computer to get files off it..but i dont want to lose another computer.

Thanks for all help

Reaction score
PowerbookG417 said:
hey anyone know where i can pick up a service guide for iMAC 20" with the isight. i need to pop in my HDD from my old computer to get files off it..but i dont want to lose another computer.

Thanks for all help

It seems like using the old computer in Target Disk Mode (assuming it is a Mac) would be a less warranty-voiding option. ;)

OP
P

PowerbookG417

yes that would be very logical but i guess i left out a big part i can't have the computer run for more than 30 seconds or so before it crashes everytime...see i just got a new 20" imac cause my old one went threw so many service call and issues after issue. so my logic board is toast and i have IMPORTANT data on that drive...i know its a simple thing to do on the old 20" model...so im thinking its all the same except i have seen the the new ram slot placement

OP
P

PowerbookG417

yes that would be very logical but i guess i left out a big part i can't have the computer run for more than 30 seconds or so before it crashes everytime...see i just got a new 20" imac cause my old one went threw so many service call and issues after issue. so my logic board is toast and i have IMPORTANT data on that drive...i know its a simple thing to do on the old 20" model...so im thinking its all the same except i have seen the the new ram slot placement

Reaction score
PowerbookG417 said:

Could you just take out the hard drive from your old iMac and then get a external hard-drive enclosure?

USB 2.0 ones are available from places like www.usbgeek.com for pretty darn cheap.

OP
P

PowerbookG417

yes you are correct IDE external enclosures are pretty cheap nowadays but, the imac's use a SATA HDD...little but more uncommon and more expensive ..

OP
P

PowerbookG417

so a bit of an update..i took apart my 20" imac and pulled the harddrive ... i'll start by saying this was not easy. i swapped the HDD and went to start up the machine wtih it all torn apart just to take the data off, i plugged the power cable in and poof the circut tripped, all the lights turn off. you can imagine the panic i started to have. i pulled the other HDD out and put the original back in re-assembled everything and crossed my fingers. You wouldn't believe my happyness to have the machine start up without a hitch ...FEWW!

with that little scare now i thought lets not mess around anymore, i re-assembled the old machine and started it up..using my ipod i transferd the data. to my surprise it stayed on JUST long enough to be able to transfer all my data.. IM SAVED.

Thanks for everyone's help and anyone who is thinking about taking one of these machines apart...best of luck. I can give you directions up to the point of taking the LCD off..but any further your on your own. anyone thinking about taking one of these apart...you might want to wait until after your warrenty, apple has a good possiblity of knowing if you do your own service work on this (ie the black tape around the LCD pannel)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
The new iMac with iSight is by far not as easy to open and dismantle than the old one, and I would not recommand it to anyone else than a skilled technician.
It's great though that you managed to get your files back, but just out of curiosity:
Even if the HD from the old iMac had worked in the new one, where would you have put your files?! You can't connect 2 HDs on an iMac (new or old) internally.

OP
P

PowerbookG417

taking the machine apart was no biggie, after looking at some pictures i had no issue with handeling the machine, up to about 4 months ago i worked at an apple service depot. so taking apart computers is no biggie. My 16 gig 3rd gen ipod was going to be the transfer device...i only needed something that was 10 gigs in size simply to backup my backup drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.