Macbook (Late 2006) Maximum Capacity

Reaction score
I am new to modifying a Mac and have a few simple questions.

What is the maximum capacity of hard drive and memory I can use?

What are the specifications that I need to search/purchase compatible hardware?

Are there specific brands that perform better in Macbooks?

If I do upgrade, is there anything else I may need to upgrade to prevent a performance issue?

Lastly, can I copy and paste the OS to a jump drive and install from that? OR Can I use the original start-up disk that came with my 2009/10 iMac?

Thanks in advance for any advice any of you may be able to give. I know they are simple questions, but I am new to modifying and I would like to not mess up on my first attempt!

Oh, I found this website. Thinking rationally, I had assumed as long as it fit I was good to go...
MacBook 13" Core 2 Duo Late 2006 Parts - iFixit

C

chas_m

I am new to modifying a Mac and have a few simple questions.

What is the maximum capacity of hard drive and memory I can use?

750GB, 7200RPM (you need a 9.5mm drive, not a 12.5mm). For RAM, 3GB (1x1GB and 1x2GB, PC-5300 DDR2)

What are the specifications that I need to search/purchase compatible hardware?

Have no idea what you mean by this.

If I do upgrade, is there anything else I may need to upgrade to prevent a performance issue?

Hello, that machine is six years old. It is the oldest possible machine that can run the current OS and current software. You are on the edge of obsolescence, as am I (mid-2007 BlackBook), but it is still "current" hardware (and can run "current" software for the foreseeable future, it just can't be upgraded to 10.8 when it comes out this summer).

Lastly, can I copy and paste the OS to a jump drive and install from that? OR Can I use the original start-up disk that came with my 2009/10 iMac?

Nope and nope. You need to buy a copy of whatever OS you want to use. I'd suggest buying the $70 Lion (USB drive edition) and just go straight to the current OS. You can also buy Snow Leopard (10.6) for $30 and then upgrade to Lion (another $30) later if you prefer, but if you want to use iCloud (and you do), you need to go with Lion.

OP
I
Reaction score
Have no idea what you mean by this.

I figured that was a bit too vague, but what I was implying, you already answered. I didn't know the specific parameters for the hard drive or memory that was compatible with my mac. I knew I read somewhere about the 9.55mm drive vs. the 12.5. I just didn't know what my machine would take.

I know its close to being obsolete, but if I can hang on to it longer, I am going to. I have an iMac and the Macbook I just purchased will be primarily for work.

Thank you for taking the time to answer all of my questions, its greatly appreciated! -Johanna

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.