Want to buy a mac - dont know where to start

Reaction score
Hi, I am currently using a compaq laptop and I'm so sick of windows constantly getting viruses and running slowly that I want to switch to a Mac.
As I am typing this, my computer has some kind of virus which no virus program can detect, typing these sentences are taking about 1 - 2 minutes for each line to type out

I want to move to Mac but I dont even know where to start.
At the moment i use our computer to study - using email, word/ excel, for watching tv shows and streaming live sport, storing music an photos, lots of web browsing and skyping family ovrseas.
I do not play games or watch movies/ tv - as it is too slow, but if upgrading I might watch a movie or tv show through itunes more often.
At the moment on the market seems to be the Macbroo Pro and Macbook Air.
with varying price and features...13", 15" 17" screens, 500 or 750HDD, and 2 or 4 GB.

Im really looking at what ou think would best suit me, and what I need to purchase to get started.

Do I have to buy a separate Windows for Mac program...

Also - can I use existing printers, USB devices or do I need to buy an adaptor/ converter to Mac.

Sorry - Im completely clueless and I dont trust ppl in the shops as they are just after the sale!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Here's the process I usually recommend for folks:

1. Decide whether you need portability (laptop vs. desktop).
2. If desktop...decide between a Mac-Mini, iMac, or Mac Pro.
3. If laptop...decide between a MacBook Pro or MacBook Air.
4. If a MacBook Pro...decide 13", 15", or 17" display.
5. If a MacBook Air...decide between an 11" or 13" display.

In all applicable steps, use your budget to narrow down the options.

Use this as a guide...then get back to us with some narrowed down choices & further questions.

- Nick

C

chas_m

Im really looking at what ou think would best suit me, and what I need to purchase to get started.

From what you listed, the MacBook Air would be perfectly capable. You'll get more internal storage space in a MacBook Pro, and larger screen options, so you may consider that. I've never met anyone who had an Air or a Pro who didn't love it.

Do I have to buy a separate Windows for Mac program...

Chances are you don't need to run Windows on your Mac at all. What specifically do you think you need to do this for? I find a lot of switchers use Windows as a "crutch" and it makes it harder for them to use the Mac, so I don't recommend it, at least not at first.

However, if you're sure you're going to need it, then I'd suggest the MacBook Pro because it has the larger hard drive, which you'll need for the extra space you'll need to run Windows and its programs.

Also - can I use existing printers, USB devices or do I need to buy an adaptor/ converter to Mac.

Nope. They should work fine. No special drivers needed.

Check out the essay linked in my signature below. Follow some of the links, you'll find them helpful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz I7 4GB mem version 10.10 Yosemite // Ipad3 // iPhone 4S
I just went through the same thing as you and from reading on this forum there seem to be a lot of people doing the same thing. A lot of very helpful people in the Mac community. What I done was browsed the Apple website and decided on buying a MacBook Pro. Then went to the local Apple store and looked at the machines and talked to the "geniuses" to see if a 13" or 15" screen was needed for my uses. It was very helpful to have the computers right in front of me. I ended up buying a 13" MacBook Pro with a 2.8 GHz Intel Core I7 processor and 4GB of memory. The switch from Windows is taking some time but it's been fun learning and there is so much helpful information out there that it's not been too difficult.

I hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
Hi, I am currently using a compaq laptop and I'm so sick of windows constantly getting viruses and running slowly that I want to switch to a Mac.
As I am typing this, my computer has some kind of virus which no virus program can detect, typing these sentences are taking about 1 - 2 minutes for each line to type out
Sounds more like a hardware problem to me (especially as there's no detection of a virus)... I've got the same sort of issue with my current HP notebook, but I know it's not a virus as I've tried doing a clean reinstall of Windows & it didn't fix it. Probably your processor is overheating, that's the problem with mine (hence why I'll be replacing it with a superior brand of computer soon)... Just warning you it may soon give-up completely if that's the case, so make sure you back-up your files regularly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Also, to be honest, if you keep getting viruses, stop going to those sites!

Reaction score
I recently switched to Mac after many years of Windows and Linux use. I went with the Macbook Pro 13" because, unlike Windows, the machines don't tend to slow down over time. It just works how it works till you eventually upgrade to software that it can't keep pace with. I like the Pro and bought my daughter one as well for her graduation gift. They're easily expandable (to 16GB RAM), vibrant displays, beautifully built, solid as a rock, stable and I can't say enough how great the OS is and how similar it is to Linux. That's a definite plus and you are buying a quality piece of hardware.

Compare 13" Air to Pro and you'll see the Pro is actually cheaper. Not really comparable from the smaller Air to the 13" Pro to me since the small Air loses screen real estate that is invaluable for me. Either one is a great machine, but the Pro gives you room to grow in HDD space and RAM.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.