iPhone 4s now or new one later?

Reaction score
Hi all,

First post after lurking for a few months. I am looking to upgrade my env touch to an iphone soon. I really like the look of the 4s and wouldn't really like a new design (don't want it to look like my ipod). I just like the boxy shape to it. I read up on the iphone 5 rumors and its features are not that really necessary for me such as larger screen, LTE, NFC, etc. (I know those are not confirmed).

I hate cases though and I don't want to put a 4s in a case. However, I don't want to drop it and have it shatter. I'm really careful with things like this and I never really drop stuff.

I'm going abroad next year and would want to use this phone overseas. I am currently on Verizon and am not switching. What are my options as far as using it in that country? I won't be using it to call the U.S.. I don't want to buy an iphone now and then not be able to use it for four months.

Sorry for the somewhat convoluted post. In short, if I have a basic phone now, is it worth waiting for the 5 when I really like the look of the 4s?

Thanks

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Well there will be a price drop when the new iPhone becomes available. You can decide then. :D

C

chas_m

Unless you're buying it outright I'm not sure what the issue is. Nobody knows what the iPhone "5" will look like or when it will be released. Putting stock in rumours this far out is just plain dumb.

So, get an iPhone 4S if you want one. If you're on Verizon, ask them about unlocking the SIM card slot (which they don't use, so they should be willing to unlock it if its not unlocked already) so you can use a GSM micro-sim in whatever country you end up in. Verizon uses CDMA which isn't covered in other countries so I can't see where they would object, since you'll be paying their bill just the same ...

Reaction score
I would hold my trigger for a while and see what Apple would do in the fall. If there is a truly revolutionary iPhone show up, I would take it. If it's not as cool as rumored, I also can pick up the iPhone 4S at a dropped price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
The next revision of the iPhone will more than likely be in the fall. Honestly you can't go wrong with a 4s right now if you're wanting it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5' iMac i3 3.2GHz, 13.3' MacBook Pro 2.26GHz, iPhone 4(16GB), 160GB iPod Classic
If I were you I would wait out for the new iPhone. I think with the iPad introducing LTE I believe Apple will be moving to LTE with the iPhone. I also wouldn't hold my breath for it but they could also bump the screen to 4 inches.

Reaction score
I think the 4s is a perfected version of the 4. Better reception, better camera, better processor. It's. Proven and reliable design. I switched to it in October after 2 years on android and am very glad I did. I have no regrets.

Unlike droids, the resale value of iPhones is high. Look at how much a used iPhone 4 went for after a year and you could get an idea of what you could sell a 4s for if you decided to upgrade it this fall (at off-contract price). And you would not need to extend your contract!

C

chas_m

If I were you I would wait out for the new iPhone. I think with the iPad introducing LTE I believe Apple will be moving to LTE with the iPhone.

I think this is a fair point, but a lot of people like me have a phone that's capable of 3G but we barely use it because we are in Wi-Fi all the time.

If my iPad 3 was the LTE version it wouldn't make a whit of difference to me except that I'd be out $130. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro.
I think this is a fair point, but a lot of people like me have a phone that's capable of 3G but we barely use it because we are in Wi-Fi all the time.

If my iPad 3 was the LTE version it wouldn't make a whit of difference to me except that I'd be out $130. :)

I couldn't agree more. I also use my iPhone data plan mostly when I have free WiFi ( at home or coffee shops, etc ). Of course I do use my data plan when that is not possible. I don't see that I would use the data plan that much more just because I have the iPhone 4s or for that matter the next iPhone.

LTE sounds great. And I want it. But not enough to break my contract and have it cost me more. Matter of fact, I'll wait for the iPhone 6 to come out. Then I'll get the iPhone 5. Or what ever it's called. I'll probably get it for cheap. The way I figure, the next iPhone will be introduced in the later part of the year and by the time my contract is up the next iPhone will be coming out. Perfect time for me to upgrade. I don't mind a bit being just behind the technical curve. As much as I love Apple products, I'm not a slave to the latest or greatest.

No, I'll wait. And save some bucks to boot. And I'll probably not notice the difference. Except in my pocket.

Reaction score
Just wait for the 5, it should be worth it, since the Samsung S3 looks great and gaining so much attention from the public. The iPhone 5 should be much better than the 4S.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Pro 4GB, AT&T iPhone 4 16GB, every version iPod, 3rd Gen iPad 16GB 4G+LTE
Unless your phone is broken or on its last leg, I'd wait. As soon as the 6th iPhone comes out, you'll wish you waited.

I waited two months for a release date on the iPad 3 and am glad I waited. There wasn't any urgency in buying, so the price drop/ newest thing (whichever you care about more) was a big deal.

I also have had a terrible streak of buying iPhones two weeks before the newest one was announced. I spent what the cost of the new phone was for the older version bc I didn't wait (and I had the chance both times.)

C

chas_m

The Samsung Galaxy SIII looks like a feature-packed and flagship Android phone, to be sure, but it's gotten nearly universal criticism for its fugly appearance.

209753.jpg

Geez, are you SURE you got enough icons and data on the screen?? Are you SURE we can't fit one or two more on there?? :)

Its also too big to reach across the screen with your thumb. I'm not against bigger phones per se but there's a limit, and being able to reach across it with my thumb is important to me.

Reaction score
No body knows the next version will looks like, if you bought the iPhone 5, you will look forward to the next version iPhone 6, next, next……, so my opinion is that : iPhone 4s is just OK. :)

C

chas_m

Another point: I can *GUARANTEE* that the iPhone 4S will run the next major version of iOS, and that Siri will eventually come out of beta. IOW, an iPhone 4S bought now will continue to be an ever-improving phone for a long time to come.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS Black, Macbook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
You can get one now, as you said that you like the current design, and you don't need LTE and bigger screen. It will be some time before the next one, so if you need on now, by all means get one soon.
In no way will you not be able to use it in 4 months. If you get one now, you can use it for years ahead. Just at times, it will get slow, (Because of 3G) and the hardware will soon be outdated for the apps. But that is in years after you get the 4S. I am still running on my iPhone 3GS, and it works fine for most of the things I like to do. Except gaming. My tablet with the bigger screen is way more fun to play games on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I am still using the 4 and it works great for what I do but if it were to break I would be on my way to purchase a 4s no way am I going to wait months for a new one.

C

chas_m

Definitely wait for the new one. The iPhone 5 should be out within 3 months.

Your source for this is ... what?

I have to point out that the previous iPhone debuted in October.

I don't know what calendar you're using, but the Gregorian one most of us are on tells me that October (which is the most LIKELY timeframe the new iPhone would come out) is more than three months away. I don't know when the next iPhone is coming out, but my point is that neither do you and claiming you "know" something when in fact you don't is IRRESPONSIBLE when advising people.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.