info needed for new user

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air OS Lion 4Gb Ram
Hi. I have bought a MBA and would like some help and advice please.

First off...I have been using my desktop PC to stream AVI movies to our XBOX over a home network using media player. I want to use the MBA to do the same thing but found that Mac OS dont like AVI files, trouble is, all my movie files are AVI.
So....Can I stream AVI files to an XBOX with my MBA. If not, what is the best software to use to convert the files to be able to watch them on a large screen TV without losing quality.

Second...I have bought Office for mac. I didnt realise the home and student edition didnt come with outlook (I thought it did). Are there any other similar software out there for me to download. I haven`t set up my email yet as I am waiting to get some bits and pieces to set the whole MBA up. (adapters for large LCD etc)

Third.... I have bought an external DVD drive, connected it up, worked a treat, but found it wont work if connected through a USB Hub. Is there any way around this as I only have 2 USB ports and it needs both of them to run, which means disconnecting the other peripherals.

C

chas_m

First off...I have been using my desktop PC to stream AVI movies to our XBOX over a home network using media player. I want to use the MBA to do the same thing but found that Mac OS dont like AVI files, trouble is, all my movie files are AVI.
So....Can I stream AVI files to an XBOX with my MBA. If not, what is the best software to use to convert the files to be able to watch them on a large screen TV without losing quality.

They're already in (likely DivX) AVI, the VHS of movie formats, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

As MightyGem suggested, you probably want to download and install Flip4Mac WMV Player and Perian (both free) to avoid re-coding difficulties. Ultimately you are going to want to make those files in MP4 format, but of course the best way to do this is to either re-rip from the original or buy from iTunes. The reason you are going to want to eventually have them in MP4 is because its the standard format all modern digital home video equipment understands, it's very adept at HD formats, etc.

There is a dedicated program for streaming to Xboxes: Yazsoft Playback | Fast Streaming Media - Mac Osx Download Manager

It's $15, well worth it judging from the reviews.

Second...I have bought Office for mac. I didnt realise the home and student edition didnt come with outlook (I thought it did). Are there any other similar software out there for me to download.

Why download anything? You already have Mail, Address Book and iCal. They work together beautifully.

Third.... I have bought an external DVD drive, connected it up, worked a treat, but found it wont work if connected through a USB Hub. Is there any way around this as I only have 2 USB ports and it needs both of them to run, which means disconnecting the other peripherals.

DVD drives require lots of power. That's why it needs both of your USB ports to run. If the drive has a separate power plug available, then you can plug it in and it will only need one USB port (and will work through a hub). If this drive you refer to doesn't have a way to connect to power, return it and get one that does.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi. Thanks for the replies.

Good advice from you all

chas_m ...just a quick q .......When you say I will eventually want all the movie files to be mp4 format, why is it you say that??. The trouble is my video camera and my samsung digi camera (which are both new) both record video in AVI format.

will the software you highlighted stream AVI to Xbox, or will i have to convert it all first

C

chas_m

The reason I say you may want to convert everything to MP4 at some point or another is because this is the format used by the iPad, iPhone, AppleTV, most third-party streaming video solutions (slingbox for example), and it's a very widely-accepted standard etc.

It's a PITA having video in other formats, because they work with this but they don't work with that, and so forth. I used to burn all my DivX AVIs to disc and play them on my DVD player (which supported the format), but eventually the AppleTV was just a much better idea.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, it is a PITA with the different video formats.

I`ll try and stick with AVI for as long as I can, but I may be fighting agaianst the tide

Thanks for your help btw

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.