ram or graphics - g5

Reaction score
hey,

first post here so hey...im just about to buy a new powermac g5 2ghz dual core with 20" apple screen...basically because of apples student discount i am looking at being able to afford a couple of upgrades...i will deffinetly b getting 1gig of ram...on top of that i have the option of either another gig of ram on top of that to a total of 2 gig or upgrade the graphics to a geforce 7800, i think thats the 1 anywho...i was just wondering which of these upgrades you would recommend...im going to b using the mac for video editing in final cut and i would also like to use it for gaming, as its replacing my windows based gaming machine.

thanks for any advise

regards

Fraser

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Get the video card and upgrade the RAM on your own since it is cheaper

B

badmojo

If you're gaming, go for the graphics. 1 gig of ram should get you by and you can always add it later when you see a deal. Ram's abundant Apple video card's aren't. My $.02.

OP
F
Reaction score
thats the other thing i was meant to ask, is there a difference between apple video cards and normal pc 1s? this maybe a very nebie question but whereas i have a fair amount of knowledge with pc's i know bugger all about mac's

regards

fraser

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Yes they are flashed with different ROM's. You won't be able to find many mac video cards in stores.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.