• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Intel eyes 4GHz chips in 2004

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Source: MacMinute.com

Intel eyes 4GHz chips in 2004
November 20, 2003 - 16:16 EST Intel said Thursday that it is aiming to boost the performance of its desktop PC processors to speeds of 4GHz sometime next year. "Our goal is to hit 4GHz in 2004," said Paul Otellini, Intel's president, during a meeting with financial analysts. Apple CEO Steve Jobs has repeatedly said that the Power Mac G5 will reach 3GHz before the end of next summer.

My Comments: Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
So how do you compare a 32bit 4Ghz chip with a 64bit 3Ghz chip?

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I have no idea :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I believe that it will get to a point that clock speeds will not mean to much. We maybe being looking flops or something like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
This reminds me of the HD jump a few years ago, 5 years ago we had just enuf HD space to get by, now we have more than enough + access to more if we need it. I wouldn't be surprised if the same happens with processor speeds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
and its getting to the point that processors are updated so quickly there is never any software for the latest processors to use the full capabilities

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
ya, i think Graphites right. we'll know when this happens when photoshop opens in two bounces on the average computer

S

StarManta

Graphite said:
This reminds me of the HD jump a few years ago, 5 years ago we had just enuf HD space to get by, now we have more than enough + access to more if we need it. I wouldn't be surprised if the same happens with processor speeds.

All that means is that the software hasn't arrived just yet that takes advantage of the new hardware. In the case of hard drives, that meant video content. (My friend has filled a 200 GB HD in only a few months, thanks to downloaded TV shows and movies. He's now burning CD's by the boatload.) In the case of processors? Who knows... perhaps a new breed of AI, face and voice recognition, new gorgeous games, or better real-time graphics for our OS.

Maybe we'll be computing in 3D before long? one can only hope...

For the record, I agree completely - the only time I fully use my 1GHz PB processor is when I'm playing the latest games from 1999.... :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.