Unable to Eject Disk

Reaction score
I have an external hard drive I have two partitions, one for files 1TB and one for Time Machine 1TB. I can usually eject the Time Machine partition but when I try to eject the Files partition I am told that I can't because a Program is accessing the disk. How do I find out WHAT program is accessing the disk continuously and how to do I stop it from doing so?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Possibly Activity Monitor > Disk activity.

OP
I
Reaction score
I tried that but it doesn't show which programs are currently accessing a disk. Just which processes are running.

C

chas_m

Two strong possibilities:

1. Spotlight. You can go into Spotlight's preferences and exclude the disk from being indexed. See if that works.

2. You're not properly quitting your apps, and they are still open. You need to properly quit apps (command-q, Quit from the file menu, etc), not just close them (red button).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
I have an external hard drive I have two partitions, one for files 1TB and one for Time Machine 1TB. I can usually eject the Time Machine partition but when I try to eject the Files partition I am told that I can't because a Program is accessing the disk. How do I find out WHAT program is accessing the disk continuously and how to do I stop it from doing so?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Try re- booting. It has worked for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.