No docs from finder

KGS

Reaction score
I recently upgraded my iMac to Lion. I wonder if I inadvertently did something to remove documents from appearing in Finder. I also no longer show everything saved to my desktop. I have confirmed the info is still there. I just can't see it. I can save a document and see all the other documents. I just can't access docs via Finder. Any direction would be appreciated.
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad
What about Finder > Preference >General with option are check On

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I recently upgraded my iMac to Lion. I wonder if I inadvertently did something to remove documents from appearing in Finder. I also no longer show everything saved to my desktop. I have confirmed the info is still there. I just can't see it. I can save a document and see all the other documents. I just can't access docs via Finder.

This is very confusing. Point #1 - are you referring to open documents? #2 - You don't see everything on the Desktop. But, do you see anything? #3 - How have you confirmed that? #4 - You can see what other documents? Where are they saved? #5 - How are you accessing the documents you can see if not via Finder?

Common ground terminology:
Finder is an application that allows you to see graphics on your screen. When not open, documents are represented by icons in Finder Windows or on the Desktop, a close relative. (The icons remain when the documents are open, of course.)

Perhaps it is icons that are not appearing for you??

OP
K

KGS

Reaction score
Details

Typically I click on "Finder" from my dock to locate specific documents. I can also go into Word or Excel and locate docs this way (which works fine).

My challenge is when I open "Finder" (Pref>Gen'l options are checked), on the left side under Favorites I see
All My Files: when I click I see Contacts, Events, Images, PDFs, Music, etc...no problem
Documents: when I click, I see nothing but a white screen
Desktop: when I click, I see nothing but a white screen
Home: when I click, I see nothing but a white screen
Applications: when I click, I see nothing but a white screen
Pictures: when I click, I see nothing but a white screen
Dropbox: when I click, I see nothing but a white screen

Yet, if I want to attach a document to an email, I am able to click on desktop or documents, locate the file and attach it.

I wonder what happened that no longer allows me to access info via "Finder"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Ok, you have a Finder Window problem. You need to get to your User/Library folder. In Lion, it is hidden, but there is a trick to revealing it. I'll have to defer to someone who has Lion, since I can't remember the trick. But, once you get there (HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences) drag the com.apple.finder.plist file to your Desktop. Then Restart. That will create a new plist file in that folder. Hopefully that will fix the problem.

P.S. I tried your "click on Finder in the Dock" move for the first time. It opens the Documents folder in my User Folder. I never knew that. I'm not sure I'll use it, but thanks for the tip anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.