Macbook Password Protected

Reaction score
Bought MacBook at auction and while I checked it at auction when I attempted to download software found it was password protected from previous owner. How do I get rid of the password protection?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
You don't need a password to download software !

What password are you referring to .... the one that is asked at log in or the firmware password ?
What exactly did you check at the auction ?
Do you have the original installation disks for your machine ?
What machine and OS version are you talking about ?

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz I7 4GB mem version 10.10 Yosemite // Ipad3 // iPhone 4S
When I set up my MacBook Pro I didn't designate a password so when the system asked for a password all I had to do was hit enter while the password space was blank. I've changed it since but it's worth a try.

OP
B
Reaction score
Password Protection

This is a password that is asked for when you download software to the computer. It has the previous owner username and ask for a password.

This is an OS 10.4. No software was provided for the computer.

C

chas_m

What kind of irresponsible auction house would sell you a Mac with someone else's data on it, and then not tell you this until after you bought it.

Not buying this so far ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Did the original install discs come with the computer? If so format the hard drive Mac OS Extended (Journalled) and do a clean install. if not ring purchase Snow Leopard or Lion from the Apple Online store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.2GHz i7 Quad Core 16GB 240GB 6G SSD+750GB HDD Optibay External USB SuperDrive
What kind of irresponsible auction house would sell you a Mac with someone else's data on it, and then not tell you this until after you bought it.

Not buying this so far ...

I've bought on ebay before and the owner restored but put a password on it and forgot to give it to me.

Just go contact whichever auction you got it from and ask them for the password. There are other ways to get around the password but, not knowing you, the macbook could be stolen so I wouldn't tell how to do that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And should it be firmware password protected take it back!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.