Can't create bootable USB

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I am trying to create a Windows partition via bootcamp on my late 2011 MBP. For whatever reason, the option to create a bootable USB on bootcamp is grayed out, so I figured I would do it myself. I went to disk utility, created a clean 1 partition set to MRB, and then went to restore. But when I tried to use my Windows ISO file as the source and my new USB partition as the destination, I got an error: "Could not validate source - Invalid Argument". I am sure that the ISO is not corrupt. What could be wrong? Or is there any other program I could use instead of Disk Utility to make my USB bootable with the windows ISO on it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the ISO is a good one (also assuming it's a legal copy) and not corrupt, you should be able to create a bootable USB flash drive with it. See these instructions: LINK

Note the instructions above are for Windows 7 but should also work for Vista and XP.

Also take a read of this thread from the Mac Rumors forum: LINK

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. For some reason it still didn't work, but I went out and bought DVDs and burned one on a DVD and it worked fine.

My new question is - how to I reformat the USB to be a regular USB that I can put files on and what not? I'm having trouble doing that..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My new question is - how to I reformat the USB to be a regular USB that I can put files on and what not? I'm having trouble doing that..

You should be able to reformat the USB drive with Disk Utility. (mount it and select it with DU) Assuming you want to format it to FAT-32, make sure you select the "MBR" option and not GUID. Or, you can format it to HFS+ but that will make it Mac only.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.