Unable to install OSX 10.6 off flash drive

Reaction score
I'm trying to fix a Macbook Pro 8,1 (2011 13") that's extremely slow and decided the quickest way would be to reinstall OSX. So I pulled out my handy bootable flash drive that has served me well installing OSX 10.6 onto many other Macs.

I plug it in, power up, hold option and select the flash drive. It starts to load for awhile before throwing up a kernel panic as shown:

1bed0bf9.jpg

Already tried reformatting the flash drive again with another Mac's Disk Utility and even rebooted to test that it works fine and the installer shows up. The issue seems to be specific to this 13" Macbook. Can someone help please?

Thanks and regards,
Nicholas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.2GHz i7 Quad Core 16GB 240GB 6G SSD+750GB HDD Optibay External USB SuperDrive
I believe it won't install because the OS is too old. I think you would need 10.6.8 if you wanted to install SL on there. I know OS X Lion 10.7 will install via usb drive not problem. I've done it on that model.

OP
N
Reaction score
I see. Problem is I only have the retail DVD (and its dmg image, in this case) which is 10.6. Everywhere I have looked the general advice is to install 10.6 and let Software Update bring it up to 10.6.8.

Is there a way to download the 10.6.8 update dmg and somehow streamline it into my dmg image? Like what one would do with past Windows XP installs, for example.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.2GHz i7 Quad Core 16GB 240GB 6G SSD+750GB HDD Optibay External USB SuperDrive
I'm not sure. If you have another macbook that you can put the hard drive of the pro into and install SL on there then transfer it back to the pro it will work that way.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The original version of OS X that was shipped with that MBP was Snow Leopard 10.6.6. You should be able to use the original install DVD set if you have it. If not, give Apple support a call and ask them to send you the original set or a retail copy of 10.6.8. The cost for the retail copy is $29.99. The original install set should be even less.

OP
N
Reaction score
I'm not sure. If you have another macbook that you can put the hard drive of the pro into and install SL on there then transfer it back to the pro it will work that way.

This is genius, Cody, haven't thought of this before. Will try it hopefully turns out alright otherwise will have to get new discs as chscag suggested.

Cheerio,
Nicholas

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This is genius, Cody, haven't thought of this before. Will try it hopefully turns out alright otherwise will have to get new discs as chscag suggested. Cheerio, Nicholas

Take note... That unless it's the same exact model that you're trying to install to, it won't work. You'll wind up with kernel panics as soon as the "updated" hard drive is placed back into the original machine. Keep in mind that Apple install media is model specific unless it's a retail version.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.