• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple rolls out new security measures for iTunes, App Store

Reaction score
Apple rolls out new security measures for iTunes, App Store

Apple has reportedly started asking iTunes and App Store customers to fill out three security questions that will be associated with their accounts in what is presumably a move to reduce fallout in the event of a breach.
mf.gif

a2t.img

Read more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
So why does this only happen on iPad?

AppStore still works properly on iTtunes and iPod Touch. Only the iPad starts asking questions.

I suppose the idea is everyone will have to write down all this security stuff as they can't remember it all - which can then be stolen and used by anyone. Very secure Apple.

Oddly enough, it is downloading updates, not anything new. I wonder if the other two systems will get stopped if I try to install something new?

Oh well, that will save some money anyway. No more new purchases :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 13 MacBook Pro, 11" MacBook Air, 64G iPad, iPhone 4
I suppose the idea is everyone will have to write down all this security stuff as they can't remember it all - which can then be stolen and used by anyone. Very secure Apple.

How come it's Apple's fault if you can't remember the answer to three questions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Reaction score
I got the security questions on my iPad2, and then afterwards I could not download any songs. I have tried from 3 different devices on 3 different networks, all with the same results. Sounds like Apple has some bugs or a security breach they are trying to resolve.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I got the security question thing when trying to download an APP on my iPhone 3 Gs so it isn't just for iPads.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac27" MBP17" MBA13" ATV Ipad3 Iphone4S TC AEBS
Overall, this is a good thing. Here in the Mac community we have had it good for a very long time. Macs, iPads iPhones etc. are now becoming far more mainstream, and with this comes the Malware / Hacking brigade **** bent on grabbing your passwords etc.

Consider it beneficial that Apple are taking these steps to secure your accounts.

Reaction score
Why not let us answer the questions on the Appleid site?

More security isn't necessarily bad, but it would be a lot easier than if we could answer the questions on the AppleID site. But alas we can't. As for remembering the answers, it might be simple if we didn't get this stuff from everyone. And I for one have trouble remembering what I ate for lunch. I use Password Safe and pwSafe and record the answers there because I know I won't remember the answers when needed. Today, in setting up my wife's new iPad, I was blocked from downloading an app when I chose to ignore the request to set up the questions. It finally gave me the choice to set up the questions or cancel. When I clicked Cancel, it took me out of the App Store. Not really a friendly or effective way to add security. Most people will just quit instead of trying to figure out how to comply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I was blocked from downloading an app when I chose to ignore the request to set up the questions. It finally gave me the choice to set up the questions or cancel. When I clicked Cancel, it took me out of the App Store. Not really a friendly or effective way to add security. Most people will just quit instead of trying to figure out how to comply.

Then most people really need to stop being so lazy or lackadaisical about those things which absolutely should concern them. Too bad for them, I guess. It's security for the sake of protection, not an punishment for being a customer.

Doug

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
+1. The security has been enhanced for a very good reason. The same folks who complain about too much security will be the same ones who will scream the loudest when their account has been compromised. You can't have it both ways. I applaud Apple for increasing their security measures.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macOS Big Sur V.11.2.3 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2019) 3.1GHz 6 Core Intel Core i5, 16 GB DDR4 SSD,
It gives you the option to skip the procedure which I did a month ago but yesterday when offered it again I decided it was for my own good. Didn't hurt a bit either.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.