• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I am worried for someone

Reaction score
Do any of you young guys know what trip balls are? I think it may have a drug reference but I'm not sure.I want to know before I confront someone about it. I did a google search but couldn't find anything. any info would help .thanks. i could be way off but like i said I'm researching first

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.1
In the UK we have a number that you can call and talk about drugs. I don't know where you’re from but I'm sure that you must have something similar where ever you are. If it's a drug they'll know, they have to know their stuff. If you wanted you could talk to them about how to talk to the person you know about (perhaps confronting them isn't the way to do it.)

If your in the UK call Frank on 0800 917 8765 if your somewhere else that I'm sure that someone here will know of a similar number.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i usually use it in reference to being on LSD back in my misguided youth.

OP
iNAP
Reaction score
So it is or has been used as drug reference, I thought so, thanks guys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
confrontation? lol... wow. just let em do what he wants :)

F

Fallooza

iNAP said:
Do any of you young guys know what trip balls are? I think it may have a drug reference but I'm not sure.I want to know before I confront someone about it. I did a google search but couldn't find anything. any info would help .thanks. i could be way off but like i said I'm researching first

it is when ya take acid(LSD) or mushrooms the buzz is called tripping. When ya get the good stuff ya "trip balls".

OP
iNAP
Reaction score
The more and more I hear about it the more I see things I thought may be of concern thank you.

Reaction score
iNAP said:
The more and more I hear about it the more I see things I thought may be of concern thank you.

While the person may not see it now, they are lucky to have someone concerned about them.

I also don't think it is realistic for people on this board to be criticizing iNAP's concern--we know nothing about the relationship in question.

:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
yes 'trip balls' is more or less a state of mind(odd expression to use, i know). a verb phrase more than a noun. and means you are tripping really hard.

i commend you a lot on wanting to talk to this person about it, i wish i was able to talk to a friend about it but i just kinda blew it off for a bit too long. but in a way, graphite is right, in the long run there is not too much you can do about it.

i know we have all probably laughed at the commercials for this but theantidrug.com, it is geared towards parents but should help. also has some numbers you can call up at the top of the page.

goodluck inap
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
No way, confrontation is pretty much always the best, of course it depends how you do it.. if you do it in a condescending way, then don't do it, but if you are doing it in a very loving and caring way, then absolutely. I would much rather my friend / family / etc look back and see the concern I showed then to look back and see that I did not say a thing about it. To really care about someone is to have a vested interest in them. Ignoring something that is destroying a person is taking part in destroying them, and I do not know which planet a person would need to be from to think that destroying someone is being a friend to them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Confrontation is all well and good, but all too often you create enemies with the kid. People are clumsy and untrained, and no one but a trained professional should be confronting anyone. But if you do end up confronting them...

Heres a few ideas, from a trained social/psychological professional:
+Large groups are nice, for you not necessarily the person you are confronting. They will feel alienated, and insulted. This person thinks their supposed drug 'problem' is a secret. They will be embarrassed and not cooperate.
+Asking them if there is anything they should tell you is nice... but you want to be a friend, not their advisor.
+Avoid the law. It will ruin your friendship, and ruin your friends life on all levels.
+Make sure you are their closest sober friend (he may have pals that also do the drug, those don't count), if your not talk to their closest friend about it. They will handle it better than you ever will.
+Remind them you care about them, and they are a good person. Remind them that their life can be good with out the aid of drugs too, and their friends are here to support him, not judge him.
+Get a trained professional to mediate, and control the situation.
+Finally Do NOT confront them right-out, you do not honestly know that this person has a problem, this is speculation. Until they tell you, or you see them consume this drug, there is a reasonable doubt. The best way is to be their friend, stay with them and keep their mind off it. If they trust you, they will either open up to you or else. Perhaps suggest things neutral that they could do incase of an addiction. Never accuse! its tricky, and most people think they can do it... yet fail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Good suggestions mr mod - that wasn't so hard, right?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.