FireWire 800 HDD or wait for thunderbolt...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i5 3.1GHz / 1TB HDD / 16GB RAM / Model 12.2 / Mavericks 10.9
Hi folks;

when I got my iMac a few weeks ago, I opted for a 1TB internal HDD. I planned to use that only for the OS, and put the data on external Thunderbolt disk. But, with the iMac being as expensive as it is, I had to wait for a while to get that one. I admit I did not research TB drive availability well enough...

However, my internal disk is now getting full with photograph data files now, and I guess I will need an external HDD soon. Thunderbolt drives are still too few and too expensive. Question is, are they worth the wait considering my usage?

Apple offers GData drives with FW800 connection, a 2 TB drive will cost about 200 euros (300 $)... that's within budget. But how will Adobe LightRoom/Photoshop perform with all photo files on that external drive? The LR database shall remain on the internal HDD.

Will there be a significant drop in performance compared with photo files on the internal drive? I am not thinking about comparison of theoretical transfer speeds, but actual user experience....

Thymen

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.