Backing up Windows 7 (run on Parallels 7)

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently operating OSX Lion on my iMac and intend to install 'Windows 7 Ultimate' using 'Parallels 7' virtual software.

Does anyone know if time machine will back up the windows environment with the rest of the OSX or will I need to do it separately using the back up programme in Windows?

Appreciate your help

A

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No it will not. Windows 7 has a built in backup program.

Reaction score
Since the Windows 7 virtual machine disk is just another file on your hard drive, as long as that file resides on a filesystem being backed up by Time Machine, yes it will be backed up.

OP
A
Reaction score
Hmmm.....2 conflicting answers there. Not sure where to go with that. Any other thoughts?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hmmm.....2 conflicting answers there. Not sure where to go with that. Any other thoughts?

Well, let me clear up the conflict.... As long as you're running Windows 7 in a virtual machine within Parallels, it will be backed up each time you run Time Machine provided you do not exclude the file.

Member Harry thought you were referring to running Windows 7 using a dual boot with Boot Camp in which case he would be correct.

OP
A
Reaction score
Great stuff. Thank you all for your comments, appreciate your time.

A

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.