Distorted/Yellow Green screen when connecting MacBook to external monitor

Reaction score
Hello guys, basically I am trying to connect a 2006 white macbook to my external monitor.

I bought to cables, a miniDVI to HDMI and miniDVI to DVI and both yield the exact same results when trying to connect to 2 different LCD monitors.

The pictures show the result:
Qvtx1.jpg

IrAI4.jpg

The yellow/green screen changes based off the resolution.

Why is this happening? Is this a problem with my mac?

I should also note I am not using offical apple adapters, but knockoffs from Amazon - these were given good reivews so I dont see why it won't work.

Is this a problem with my Mac or my cables or the reason I am not using an OfficeMax apple adapter?

Cables I bought:
Amazon.com: PTC Mini-DVI to HDMI Adapter with 6ft HDMI Cable for Macintosh: Electronics
Amazon.com: Connectland CL-ADA31020 Mini-DVI to DVI Adapter: Electronics

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Those cables should work OK. It looks like the problem is with your MacBook not the cables nor the LCD monitors. If you have access to another Mac, try the cables again. What I also suggest is look closely at your Mini DVI connector on your MacBook and make sure none of the connectors are broken or bent. Use a strong light and magnifying glass if you have to.

I have a 2008 MacBook with which I use a Mini DVI adapter to a DVI cable to an LCD monitor and it works OK.

OP
W
Reaction score
Those cables should work OK. It looks like the problem is with your MacBook not the cables nor the LCD monitors. If you have access to another Mac, try the cables again. What I also suggest is look closely at your Mini DVI connector on your MacBook and make sure none of the connectors are broken or bent. Use a strong light and magnifying glass if you have to.

I have a 2008 MacBook with which I use a Mini DVI adapter to a DVI cable to an LCD monitor and it works OK.

I just checked my mini dvi port on my mac, and I see that 2 pins are missing on top left...is this the culprit? What can I do to fix this? Is this any other port I can output to external monitor?

Reaction score
Mine has 10? pins on each side (old eyes here). Newer model tho.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As member "cradom" pointed out the connector has 10 pins (my old eyes see the same on mine). The Mini DVI adapter to DVI likewise should have 10 on the female side. Since your adapter is new I doubt that's the problem as I pointed out in my first reply.

If you can see that 2 pins are missing, then that's the problem. But look closely and make sure they're not actually bent in or to the side. The pins are very thin and difficult to see.

I think but am not sure that you can use a USB to DVI adapter. In other words, from your USB 2 port to DVI. But... they are expensive. Here's a LINK that shows several adapters. However, I advise you to look around. Go to monoprice.com and check their prices first.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.