My Mac book pro screen goes crazy

Reaction score
I am new to Mac and I just bought a brand new system, Mac book pro 13 inches (2.8GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 processor with 4MB shared L3 cache) barely two weeks old and I am just getting to learn the nuts and bolts. Today while I was working on another computer with my Mac also switched on at the same time I saw the Mac screen go wild (don't know what else to call it) Please see the attached picture.

The MAC was running on battery power at this time. I pressed the scroll pad, pressed the "esc" button, did a shut down. But the screen goes like this after sometime on rebooting. I have had this happen three times and nothing I can think of doing (basically jabbing the key or scroll pad)

I have spent much more on buying this Mac than I what I usually spend on a computer. I am well versed with WindowsXP and know nothing of Mac. I am scared and in panic. What has happened to my Mac? What should I do now ? Thanks for any reply.

vlcsnap-2012-04-13-21h06m32s168.jpg

OP
S
Reaction score
take it back to apple

I know this is what I have got to do. But this is such a big let down for a person who thought that he was escaping the Windows blue-screen.
What is the likely problem? I assumed Mac to be a mostly trouble free system. Guess I am left wondering, "Why me?"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
I guess let the apple genius bar handle this, you might be lucky to get a better replacement one, it is unfortunate to happen to you. The money you spent will be worth every single penny with apple experience. Do not give up hope.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I know this is what I have got to do. But this is such a big let down for a person who thought that he was escaping the Windows blue-screen.
What is the likely problem? I assumed Mac to be a mostly trouble free system. Guess I am left wondering, "Why me?"

Your new MacBook Pro is an electronic device and like any other electronic device, it can fail. Cost doesn't matter. I've seen brand new BMW SUVs that needed repair before they reached 5000 miles.....

As advised, make an appointment with your local Apple genius bar and take it in. Apple has the very best customer service of any computer maker and I'm sure they'll take good care of you. Another note: You may wish to purchase Apple Care for your new MBP if you have not already done so.

C

chas_m

Any mass-manufactured device has a certain (albeit very small) percentage of (the device) that will escape QC with defects. Yeah, it's annoying when it happens to an expensive computer, but it happens to every brand, of everything, that is mass-manufactured. The odds are low, but it does happen. That's all.

Take it back, get a new one.

Reaction score
I'm betting you are using Intel graphics on that one? The screen looks just like my wife's Dell laptop when it comes out of sleep. I'm willing to bet it's a CPU (GPU) failure or timing issue just like hers, which is out of warranty now. We're stuck with it like that so it takes a minute or so to go away after opening the lid or starting it up, but interesting that the problem on a Mac looks like hers on a PC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.