system preferences disappeared

Reaction score
So I accidentally removed my Systems Preferences icon from my Dock, and now I can't find it ANYWHERE. It's not in my Applications folder. I can't find it with Spotlight. When I click on Systems Preferences under the upper left apple icon, nothing happens. WHERE DID IT GO??? Any ideas? Thanks.

rez

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook 2.26GHZ 4GB RAM 250GB HDD 64GB SSD
Hey,

Try going to the PreferencePanes folder in your Library folder. You should have some .prefPane files in there. If you do, what happens when you click on one?

Which version of OS X do you have installed currently? Do you keep backups?

Ryan

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
What happens if you click the Apple menu and go to System Preferences?

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. My Preferences Pane folder is empty; there is a file under Preferences entitles com.apple.systempreferences.plist; when I click on it it opens TextEdit and a strange black box appears.

When I click System Preferences under the Apple menu, nothing happens. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad
Even not at the application folder ?
There should System Preference.app
Drag it to you taskbar
Or use the Launchpad to run System Preference

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for your replies. My Preferences Pane folder is empty; there is a file under Preferences entitles com.apple.systempreferences.plist; when I click on it it opens TextEdit and a strange black box appears.

When I click System Preferences under the Apple menu, nothing happens. Thanks again.

You're going to need to reinstall OS X in order to get back System Preferences which it appears you accidentally deleted. Unless you have a recent backup or any backup, reinstalling is going to be your only solution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad
You're going to need to reinstall OS X in order to get back System Preferences which it appears you accidentally deleted. Unless you have a recent backup or any backup, reinstalling is going to be your only solution.

I try to move System Preference to trash .
But it did not allow me to do so
So how can somebody delete it by accident .
BTW I am running Lion .

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not sure how he did it (perhaps the permissions were changed) but there is no other explanation of why it's no longer there. We have had other folks report the same thing happen to them as reported by the OP.

Regardless of how it was removed, the only way to get it back is to reinstall.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm not sure how he did it (perhaps the permissions were changed) but there is no other explanation of why it's no longer there. We have had other folks report the same thing happen to them as reported by the OP.

Regardless of how it was removed, the only way to get it back is to reinstall.

Couldn't you use Pacifist to pull it off the system discs?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Couldn't you use Pacifist to pull it off the system discs?

Good point, I had forgotten about that.

@tmccarvi

Pacifist should work and can be downloaded from here. LINK It's $20 to buy a license.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.