• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Will iMovie suffice for me?

Reaction score
I am going to move to a Mac soon and one thing I want to do is manage some home video stuff I have.

Most of it has been taken on an iPhone so formats won't be a problem. I don't want to do much other than stitch together individual but related clips and add some basic titles etc.

Will iMovie do everything I need it to? What are the pros and cons of looking at something like Premiere Elements instead?

One other question I would like some advice on if possible is how to deal with some of my wife's camerawork. She has a habit of videoing things on the iPhone in portrait. Sometimes in the middle of recording she will switch to landscape. Will iMovie be able to rotate video as needed? Is this a common problem have to deal with?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
iMovie should do what you need it to do. in any case, before buying anything at least give it a try.

In dealing with video that swaps from portrait to landscape, while you can rotate the video, I dont recommend it. try it, you will see why.

OP
S
Reaction score
I want to rotate some video because the orientation is wrong. I have video files which have people standing left to right rather than upright.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I understand, it is just you will see when you rotate the video, the aspect will change. That video will not remain in widescreen format, and it will really mess up once that portrait part comes in.

again, once you try putting it together and rotating those parts, you will see.

OP
S
Reaction score
If I don't rotate it then I need to turn my head 90 degrees to see what is happening.

:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the issue is the video goes from 16:9 widescreen to 9:16 tall.

OP
S
Reaction score
Yes - but at least it is the right way up. :)

Surely I can't be alone on not wanting to have to turn my head to the side to watch something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the biggest hurdle will be to get the wife to film the right way...

And again, while the video can be flipped right side up, it may not look very good anyway. Again, as I said way above, you will need to try it and see.

OP
S
Reaction score
I have some video from our honeymoon like this - I really just want to make the most of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
As Deckyon says, rotate the camera, not the video.

OP
S
Reaction score
As Deckyon says, rotate the camera, not the video.

OK - as I said I already have footage of my honeymoon that I want to process.

I can't rotate the camera for what I have already taken.

Thanks for your input anyway.

C

chas_m

Don't worry about Deckyon -- he's correct but you're just not getting what he's saying. I'm sure rotating the video in iMovie (you may need to crop it a little as well) will be more than good enough for your purposes. He's just saying you lose quality when you rotate video in software. I imagine you already knew that.

For *future* reference, the camera should always be held so that the orientation is landscape so that you preserve the full quality of what you shot.

OP
S
Reaction score
Don't worry about Deckyon -- he's correct but you're just not getting what he's saying. I'm sure rotating the video in iMovie (you may need to crop it a little as well) will be more than good enough for your purposes. He's just saying you lose quality when you rotate video in software. I imagine you already knew that.

For *future* reference, the camera should always be held so that the orientation is landscape so that you preserve the full quality of what you shot.

No I am getting what he is saying. Most of these video clips start in portrait before I remind my wife to switch to landscape. :Oops:

However with it being our honeymoon there isn't the opportunity to go back and do it again. The footage I have is what it is - I just want to make the best of what I have.

C

chas_m

No I am getting what he is saying. Most of these video clips start in portrait before I remind my wife to switch to landscape. :Oops:

Yeah, I hear ya. A friend of mine caught an incredible street incident and turned the camera halfway through.

What I had to do was cut out the small section where the camera was actually turning and do a quick (.5 second) cross-fade to cover that. It wasn't seamless but it was less disruptive than leaving the camera-turning in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
If you have Quicktime 7 Pro you can easily rotate any video and then export it.

Open your video in Quicktime 7. Go up to the "Window" menu and select the "Show movie properties" option.

eb4ccd3977.jpg

-------

When the video properties menu pops up, select the "video track" option in the top window. The buttons underneath will change to reflect the video track selection. Next, click on the "Visual Settings" button. This will show you all of the properties of the video on the right site. Toward the bottom of the right pane, there's an option to rotate the video orientation. You can then select how you want your video to be rotated.

30ec69cb52.jpg

Once you have done this, you can then close the video properties pane. Then you can go up to "File" and then save or export the video.

You should then be able to import it into iMovie that way.
-------

If that doesn't work for you, there are a few apps that can also do it through drag and drop methods.

$2.99 Mac App Store - Video Rotate

$Free Mac App Store - Movie Effects

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.