Windows power user thinking about moving to an iMac

Reaction score
I currently have a desktop PC which I run Windows on. I built it myself and it still performs amazingly well despite being nearly 3 years old. It is built around a Core i7 920 which I run at 4GHz. I have 6GB of triple channel memory (overclocked as well) and I have a GeForce 470 (which I haven't felt the need to upgrade)

It will do pretty much everything I want it to do. However, it requires a certain degree of maintenance. It is overclocked so I need to clean it on a regular basis to stop it from overheating. It is also quite noisy and it takes up a lot of space.

I am thinking of moving to an iMac. I am playing less games than I used to and as I use this PC for work as well I want to make some space in my home office.

If I move to an iMac what sort of big changes will I need to be conscious of? I will be buying a high end iMac in the next refresh.

One thing I do at the moment is run my network with a windows based server. Will "Time Machine" back up to that?

I will also install bootcamp for some of the games I want to play still that are not on OSX natively. I really don't like the Magic mouse. Will any Windows compatible gaming mouse play OK with OSX?

Oh, one more thing, I run a webapp for work that only works with IE. What is the best way of me running Internet Explorer on a Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If I move to an iMac what sort of big changes will I need to be conscious of? I will be buying a high end iMac in the next refresh.

See this thread http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/208133-sage-advice-new-mac-switcher.html

One thing I do at the moment is run my network with a windows based server. Will "Time Machine" back up to that?

THere maybe a way, I know you can do it with Ubuntu, - Configure Time Machine with Windows Home Server 2011

I will also install bootcamp for some of the games I want to play still that are not on OSX natively. I really don't like the Magic mouse. Will any Windows compatible gaming mouse play OK with OSX?

Yes it will

Oh, one more thing, I run a webapp for work that only works with IE. What is the best way of me running Internet Explorer on a Mac?

See this thread http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ru...4239-running-windows-mac-switchers-guide.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.