Lost my internet connection and now my mind.

Reaction score
I need some help. This is my first forum post, so please be kind if I write anything dumb.

I installed a new airport extreme to replace my express, so that I can extend my network (but haven't yet). Went through the basic install and upgraded to 7.6.1. This ran normally for several months. About a week ago now, my iMAC decided it could no longer connect to the internet. It will see the airport and the network, but no TCP/IP connection to my ISP can be established. I get the dreaded "self assign IP" from the System Preferences network list. The airport is setup with automatic DHCP leasing, and the iMAC gets the 169.254.x.x looser IP and won't connect. Now every other device on my network: 2 MacBook Pros, and iPad, and 2 iphones, connect, lease normally, and run. But the iMAC will not.

So I read through the forums, and did a bunch of stuff. Moved my SystemConfiguration Folder to the desktop and restarted to remove the .plists. I went in and attempted to manually set the IP for this machine (with about every variation I could find). Downgraded the firmware to 7.6, then 7.5.2, then back to 7.6.1. Nothing, still won't connect to the internet through the airport.

So, when I reloaded the Airport Software for the last time, I decided to make a "Guest Network." This, I can use to connect to the internet without problems. But still cannot connect to my primary network?

When I use the Airport utility now, I have the iMAC's ethernet ID listed in the "Wireless Clients" list, but not in the "DHCP client" list. What I do have is a near duplicate ethernet ID listed twice in the "DHCP client" list, but I am not sure I know what the corresponding device is. Is it possible that my iMAC is trying to obtain a DHCP lease using the wrong ethernet ID? If that was the case, why didn't rebuilding the .plists fix this problem?

***? Someone has got have had this problem and can give me some insight.

Thanks a zillion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.