• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Legality of Commercials

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
That's why some one said "the best thing a scientist can be is confused or wrong"

OP
CaldwellYSR
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13" 2.4 Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB
Ah, but therein lies the problem (this seems to be my favourite phrase in this thread). How do you determine which statistics are more "credible" if all of them have been presented with supporting statistical proof? Sure, the statistics they present might appear to be junk statistics (and I agree with you on that) but who has the right to say that "statistic A is more credible than statistic B." Like everything else in life, statistics, although arrived at through mathematical method, are subjective in their application.

You can tell if statistic a is more credible than statistic b if statistic a is using the correct and relevant numbers to start with. Which in the example there's no way they were ;) Although most of the time it's going to be pretty hard to tell the difference that's for sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
He says 7000 kids drop out of school every school day. Now I have a VERY hard time believing that is true, but for the sake of this argument I will let that slide. He continues to say "that is 26 students per second".

No he didn't. He said one drops out every 26 seconds.
LeBron James Addresses High School Dropout Crisis In New PSA (VIDEO)

Here's the actual commercial:
NBA All-Star LeBron James Featured in New Public Service Advertisement Encouraging Americans to Let Students Know We Believe In Them

I wonder what the legality is regarding people who go on a rant and mis-quote their source?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
No he didn't. He said one drops out every 26 seconds . . . I wonder what the legality is regarding people who go on a rant and mis-quote their source?

They force them to become Politicians, for whom it is second nature . . . ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Came across this today and thought of this thread. It's George Carlin on advertising BS.

OP
CaldwellYSR
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No he didn't. He said one drops out every 26 seconds.
LeBron James Addresses High School Dropout Crisis In New PSA (VIDEO)

Here's the actual commercial:
NBA All-Star LeBron James Featured in New Public Service Advertisement Encouraging Americans to Let Students Know We Believe In Them

I wonder what the legality is regarding people who go on a rant and mis-quote their source?

Ha!!! fail on my part. I guess that's what made it seem so ridiculously false.

So if 1 student drops out every 26 seconds that's 3324 students in 24 hours and the statistic is still pretty far off (86,400 seconds in a day divided by 26 seconds equals 3323.07... students). Thank you for clearing up my failure though.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
As of 2008, there were 16,375,000 high school students in the United States (source). There are roughly 200 school days a year. Using your value, that means that roughly 664,800 students will drop out in a year. That's 4.06% of the high school population. This government website pegs the figure at 8.1% (as of 2009). It would seem then that the value in the commercial is an underestimation. Using the values I've provided, it's closer to one student every 13 seconds (if I've done the math right).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Ha!!! fail on my part. I guess that's what made it seem so ridiculously false.

So if 1 student drops out every 26 seconds that's 3324 students in 24 hours and the statistic is still pretty far off (86,400 seconds in a day divided by 26 seconds equals 3323.07... students). Thank you for clearing up my failure though.

No. First off, he said 7000 students drop out every SCHOOL day, of which there are an average of 180/year. According to the links provided, approximately 1.3 million students drop out per year, which comes to approximately 7,222 per school day. So he's right so far. So let's go with the 7K figure. 7,000/24=291.67/hour. Divide again by 60 minutes and you have 4.96/minute. Divide by 60 seconds and you get .08 dropouts/second. Multiply that by 26 and you get.. wait for it… 2.08 dropouts per 26 seconds!

But wait! He said 1 dropout per 26 seconds, when it comes to 2 dropouts per 26 seconds? Well the school year may be 180 days, but it may as well be 365 for all it matters. Extend that dropout rate to the full calendar year and you get… wait for it… 1 dropout every 26 seconds.

So basically, assuming the number of dropouts is accurate (and I'm quite certain you are in no position to present more reliable numbers), then the ad was on the money. The breakdown isn't inflated. If anything, they could have been somewhat more consistent by saying "1 student drops out every 5 school-seconds" (assuming 7 school-hours per school-day), but that would make no sense whatsoever. Not to the average person anyway.

Of course I can hear it now… "then they should say 3,500 students drop out per day". If the school year was indeed 365 days/year, then there would be a LOT more dropouts due to burnout. As it is now, you can't exactly drop out on a weekend or on break, so breaking down the numbers by school-year makes more sense, and is a figure people understand. But "school-seconds" isn't a figure that exists.

OP
CaldwellYSR
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No. First off, he said 7000 students drop out every SCHOOL day, of which there are an average of 180/year. According to the links provided, approximately 1.3 million students drop out per year, which comes to approximately 7,222 per school day. So he's right so far. So let's go with the 7K figure. 7,000/24=291.67/hour. Divide again by 60 minutes and you have 4.96/minute. Divide by 60 seconds and you get .08 dropouts/second. Multiply that by 26 and you get.. wait for it… 2.08 dropouts per 26 seconds!

But wait! He said 1 dropout per 26 seconds, when it comes to 2 dropouts per 26 seconds? Well the school year may be 180 days, but it may as well be 365 for all it matters. Extend that dropout rate to the full calendar year and you get… wait for it… 1 dropout every 26 seconds.

So basically, assuming the number of dropouts is accurate (and I'm quite certain you are in no position to present more reliable numbers), then the ad was on the money. The breakdown isn't inflated. If anything, they could have been somewhat more consistent by saying "1 student drops out every 5 school-seconds" (assuming 7 school-hours per school-day), but that would make no sense whatsoever. Not to the average person anyway.

Of course I can hear it now… "then they should say 3,500 students drop out per day". If the school year was indeed 365 days/year, then there would be a LOT more dropouts due to burnout. As it is now, you can't exactly drop out on a weekend or on break, so breaking down the numbers by school-year makes more sense, and is a figure people understand. But "school-seconds" isn't a figure that exists.

Nope I have no arguments for that... looks legitimate to me and I'm glad it is. I'll gladly bite the bullet and admit failure here. Thanks for pointing out the validity.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.