No Sound through TV from MBP

Reaction score
Hi everyone, i'm new to the mac forum community and it looks like their are some mac officiators that could help a confused Aussie.
I am wanting to watch my MBP through my Samsung TV so was told to buy a mini display port to HDMI adapter. The picture comes through perfectly when i mirror the displays but unfortunately the sound only works on the internal speaker on the MBP.
Watched some you tube clips and tried some things with the sound options as stated in some posts on this site but alas no sound.
When i go to sound in syst.prefs the output section does not list my samsung tv??? How do i get that option (as the you tube clips show it appear automatically).
I also went to utilities to the audio midi setup and the tv option doesn't appear on the left hand side. Any help would be greatly appreciated:Confused:.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
Hi everyone, i'm new to the mac forum community and it looks like their are some mac officiators that could help a confused Aussie.
I am wanting to watch my MBP through my Samsung TV so was told to buy a mini display port to HDMI adapter. The picture comes through perfectly when i mirror the displays but unfortunately the sound only works on the internal speaker on the MBP.
Watched some you tube clips and tried some things with the sound options as stated in some posts on this site but alas no sound.
When i go to sound in syst.prefs the output section does not list my samsung tv??? How do i get that option (as the you tube clips show it appear automatically).
I also went to utilities to the audio midi setup and the tv option doesn't appear on the left hand side. Any help would be greatly appreciated:Confused:.
if your mbp is prior to 2010 you should buy an audio cable male ends, one to your speaker out of mbp, the other to tv audio in.

Reaction score
I think you need to have an audio cable (with male end)

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice about the audio cables ycl1688 & zrvoff, but this still does not seem to give me sound to the tv. I still don't have the tv device listed in my sound section in system pref? I thought it might also be the hdmi but tried a few and still no sound. Is there any reason my tv listing doesn't come up? Quite frustrating.

OP
K
Reaction score
Hi Chas, thanks for the sticky mate, my apologies for not searching harder. I checked out a couple of things and looked up my user manual to the tv but still no sound.
I have a 2009 MBP 5.3 (2.66) which doesn't support the audio via the MDP.
The tv is a Samsung PS51D550 and i want the sound to go only to the tv (no surround sound..trying to save on the electricity bill:))
I have added a website to the quick guide manual Support for PS51D550C1R
If you click on the quick guide it shows the tv setup on p.8.
I placed the audio cable from the headphone jack to the PC/DVI Audio In but still no sound.
Still the tv does not show up in the sound options? Any help would quickly cure my headache:) Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
I have samsung tv with connection exactly like yours and it is working.
Do yourself a favor, try a headset with mbp see the audio comes out of mbp, if yes. the tv audio in jack has problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
I think you need to have an audio cable .
g.gif

definitely cable is needed as stated post #2.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.