DHCP.... can't get it to work...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i5 3.1GHz / 1TB HDD / 16GB RAM / Model 12.2 / Mavericks 10.9
Hi folks;

sorry for the long post, but..

recently my cable modem broke, so my provider installed a new one. The new modem has built-in WiFi, the old modem not, so I used that one with a WiFi router. My computer systems were set to a static IP address, with the router set at DHCP, but reserving these IP addresses for the corresponding systems via their MAC addresses (Static Lease). The mobile phones adapters etc were set to obtain their IP addresses automatically from the routers DHCP server. Everything worked fine.

But with the new cable modem the router became redundant, so I removed it. Since modems are generally set to serve as a DHCP server, I configured the wireless connection of the iMac to obtain IP address form the DHCP server. I found the IP address the modem gave it (xxx.xxx.178.xxx) , and from that I figured out the modem's IP address would be xxx.xxx.178.1. Keyed in the address in in Safari, got connected to the modem's configuration application. All my computers were already set to xxx.xxx.1.xxx (not 178.xxx), so I changed the modem's IP, restarted modem and Mac. The wireless connection received a new IP address, and I configured everything as it should be: static leases, MAC filtering for wireless devices etc.

However, I found out that contrary to when I used the router, the DNS addresses for the adapters needed to be set to the providers DNS, where it used to be that both gateway and DNS were the routers IP, (xxx.xxx.xxx.1) and where the router would retrieve the providers DNS-es from the modem.

hmm.. pity. I prefer everything static, so that the home network is OK also when the modem is disconnected...

Ah well then... since static lease was set in in the modem for all systems I wanted to have a fixed IP, I changed the network adapters of the systems to receive all their IP addresses from the modems DHCP. . Should work... and it does. For all systems, including the iMacs wireless connection.

BUT... the iMac's adapter wit the UTP connection simply refuses to accept the settings. The IP, router and DNS addresses remain fixed at what they were from when the router was still there. It does NOT get the addresses from the DHCP server, even though I set it to do so. If I set everything manually, it connects to the internet.... but when I change it to automatic from DHCP and renew the lease (or switch off/on everything, systems AND modem).. it returns to the old setting with the DNS set to that of the router.

All other systems (windows 7, vista, XP, server, XBOX and the mobile phones etc) obediently get IP/router/DNS address from the modem and connect to the internet... but the cable-connected adapter of the iMac simply refuses.

I have tried every connection option, even changed the modem's IP range... all systems get a new IP in that range... but the UTP adapter in the iMac keeps the old addresses, even though it is out of range.

Until I have figured out what to do, I have set everything manually on al systems. It works, and every member of the family is happy.. but it really bugs me, and I want to figure out what is wrong. If one day the provider decides to change the DNS addresses, everything stops working. My wife is having a home office, she needs Internet connection... and things tend to wrong of course when I am on a business trip..

Sounds familiar? Anyone any idea? Help will be be greatly appreciated!

Thymen

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i5 3.1GHz / 1TB HDD / 16GB RAM / Model 12.2 / Mavericks 10.9
and an oops.....

I found out that my switch and the modem were having a fight over who was to be the DHCP server.... and the switch won. I have removed DHCP service from the switch.. and now it works!

Sorry for the confusion,

Thymen

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.