Mac Mini Purchase advice

rrp

Reaction score
Hi all

Currently looking at switching to a Mac from PC after many years of using PC's and laptops.

I am considering the Mac Mini as opposed to the iMac as I already have keyboards and a very new monitor.

On the Apple Store I would go for the 2.5 GHz with 4Gb Ram. However, looking at all the other options I am looking for some advice as to whether or not to go for the following.

Hard Drive.
Comes with a 500Gb 5400rpm - should I upgrade to 750Gb at 7200? Size is not a major issue I don't think so this upgrade would be based on speed. Any advice?

Processor
Comes with i5 - should I upgrade to i7??

All help welcome as I look to join Mac world!!!

Robert

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
What is it you want to do? The intended use of the machine matters.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Sierra, Retina display iPad, Iphone 5S
I went with the lower end Mini and upgraded the RAM myself. It's an easy upgrade and definitely cheaper than having Apple do it for you. The 7200 RPM drive will respond quicker than the 5400 RPM drive. The i7 processor will probably give you a little more longevity. Basically, buy the most that you can for your money. I love my Mini and it has become my everyday machine.

Bill

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
And to be honest, once you start throwing upgrades into the Mini, it comes out to nearly the price of an iMac. If you dont already have a monitor for the Mini, it makes more sense to get the iMac. My Mini was bought with a specific purpose in mind, thus I spent a little more on it than I would have if I just needed a computer. I have my Mini hooked up to a 65" HDTV and main home theater equipment. It is a media server via iTunes. It is a little workhorse pushing my media to a MBP, iPad, 2 iPhones, iPod Touch and 2 Apple TVs. And nary a skip in audio or video even when syncing my iPad and iPhone.

OP
R

rrp

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

It is mainly for everyday use to replace desktop PC. I have a Vaio as well and a good samsung monitor so want to keep the monitor for that, hence I wouldn't go for iMac.

C

chas_m

"it is mainly for everyday use" doesn't really say much of anything.

Can you be more specific, please? My idea of what other people mean by "everyday use" is:

1. Email
2. Web surfing
3. Facebook
4. More Facebook
5. Way too much Facebook
6. A little bit of Office maybe
7. YouTube
8. Back to Facebook

If that's you, then any Mac is more than up for the job.

OP
R

rrp

Reaction score
General surfing, low to medium facebook and youtube.

Daughter would probably play sims 3 which would be the most advanced gaming on machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.