Macbook pro hard drive problems

Reaction score
Hi,

Very basic knowledge of macs im afraid. I spilt liquid on my mac other day, luckily took to the apple shop about fifty miles away and they said was actually ok but two drops (!) had got under the keyboard and in theory could eventually corrode the inside of the mac (I bet they would say that). Anyway report was sent to our insurance company who have agreed to pay for new macbook pro! Brilliant. Now apple man took the hard drive out for us and said its fine itself, but when we get our new macbook this weekend, how do we get the info off the old hard drive onto this new comp??? he said something about a caddy?!?!Tried calling back but never get through. Also, as he said (off the record) the old one will probably be fine forever, so we were thinking about giving it to girlfriends parents, as they have a rubbish laptop. Could we then put the old hard drive back in? Would this be easy enough to do? And would it mess up our office for mac software as that only registered for one comp?

Sorry, answers to all or any of the above questions will be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
since the old hard drive is out, you can get an external enclosure (caddy ?) to hook up to new macbook, by migration assistant (Application > utilities > disk utility > migration assistant) to transfer your data over to new macbook. Sure you can put the old hard drive back in to the old macbook and give to your girlfriends parents. Meanwhile it is a worthy investment to get a hard drive as external drive to back up your macbook
using the newly bought enclosure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.