Upgrading from OSX 10.3.9 to 10.5.4, Software or Hardware problem?

Reaction score
I have a Mac mini G4, 1.42GHz, 1GB ram, running 10.3.9 I tried to install 10.5.4 from the grey disk that came with my newer iMac but I just get an error saying it cannot be installed. Is this a hardware problem with my Mac mini or a software problem with the disk only being licensed for one computer or something like that?

any help would be much appreciated thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The 10.5 OSX DVD that came with your newer iMac is tied to that exact model Mac with the same specs and can not be installed on any other model.

I own that exact Mini. You need a OSX 10.5 Leopard Full Retail black DVD and not the Gray DVD that comes with another Mac.

Only issue is OSX Leopard has gone way up in price as it's the last OSX that will run on a Power PC Mac! Check Ebay or your local Craig's List but be SURE it's a Full Retail Black DVD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.