Flashing question mark - no OS installed on my MacBook Pro - what do I do?

Reaction score
Hi, I bought a used MacBook Pro 13" with no OS installed..guy said he's cleared the hard drive or something so when I hit the on button, a flashing folder with a question mark pops up.I figure that this is cos there's no OS installed so wanted to know what do I do? Do I get the snow leopard disc (guy didn't give a disc)? Can I somehow purchase lion?

I tried again, hit cmd + r, this menu comes up saying I can "restore from time machine backup", "reinstall mac OS x" and there's "disk utilities". I haven't purchased OS X befor and it doesn't look like there's any "time machine backups."

So Erm what on earth do I do? I'm well and truly baffed.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It would probably be best to purchase a retail copy of Snow Leopard from Apple or Best Buy (if they have it in stock) and install it on the MBP. Once Snow Leopard has been installed and updated to 10.6.8, you can purchase Lion direct from Apple at the Mac App store. SL = $29.99, Lion = $29.99 total $60.

Or, you can purchase the Lion flash drive direct from Apple on line for $69.99.

Either way will work.

OP
T
Reaction score
It would probably be best to purchase a retail copy of Snow Leopard from Apple or Best Buy (if they have it in stock) and install it on the MBP. Once Snow Leopard has been installed and updated to 10.6.8, you can purchase Lion direct from Apple at the Mac App store. SL = $29.99, Lion = $29.99 total $60.

Or, you can purchase the Lion flash drive direct from Apple on line for $69.99.

Either way will work.

ok thanks, so if i purchase lion i wont need to install snow leopard?

Also, i know this is a dumb question but how do i install that once ive got it? Will it come up along side the flashing question mark folder or something?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If you get the Flash Drive of Lion it probably will boot from that but if you still get the question mark, just boot holding down the OPTION key and you will get a boot choice menu. Select the OSX installer and hit the arrow.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Snow Leopard is a fine OS.

What are the specs on that MBP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
it is up to you, maybe you can get your feel on snow leopard, then upgrade to lion, if you have the means go with lion, it is worth it. one that you will not regret.

OP
T
Reaction score
thanks for the advice guys, its decent spec. intel i5, 4gb ram etc

****, £55 for lion :| need to save up lol still a student...
can i get it cheap anywhere? :/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
can you get snow leopard retail copy cheaper on ebay in UK ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.