iCloud

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Non Intel based I-Mac
I downloaded Lion, have a G3 running the latest version, and purchased an iPad for the wife. Now as I understand it once I turned on photo stream, and iCloud, if she takes a picture it should be pushed to the iMac desktop as well as my iPhone. But, that's not what happens. All I see is something that looks like a mail server on my iPhone, and same thing on her iPad. I do have photostream enabled, but must have missed a step.

What is the hoop I need to get through to get photo's to appear on all devices?

Thanks

KKKKFL

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Lion won't work on a G3 - it requires an Intel processor and the G3 is a PPC processor. Therefore, you can't use iCloud on your G3. Might there be some confusion about what machine you've installed Lion on?

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Non Intel based I-Mac
That's a boo-boo on my part... meant to say the iPhone is a Gen 3 iphone. The iMac is fairly new and Lion installed with no problems. Now if I take a photo with my Gen 3 iPhone does it automatically go to the cloud and the picture can be seen on the iMac at home on my desk as well as my wife's iPod?

Thanks

KKKKFL

C

chas_m

As it says on Apple's iCloud page, your devices must be running either Lion or iOS 5 to work with iCloud:

Apple - iCloud - Getting Started

I don't really know what iPhone you're actually trying to tell us you have (since Apple never made a "gen 3"), but if it's not at least an iPhone 3GS, you can't run iOS 5 on it and thus iCloud won't work on it.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Non Intel based I-Mac
Ok, so's we have the verbage down its an " iPhone 3GS, running iOS 5" and the iPad I purchased last Saturday... It is not the New New iPad but it is the one just prior. Even if the iPhone won't work. I CANNOT get the iPad to send photo's to the iMac (which is running Lion) All I have is something that looks like a Mail server. I did get a message asking if I wanted the phone to be backed up on iCloud, and I answered "Yes".

Someone told me that I need to look in a folder for the pictures, and the folder would have the date that the picture was taken.. Where is that folder? Are photo's automatically going to iPhoto? What about documents? I created a test Word document using the wife's iPad, should I be able to access iCloud and find that document? How do I search iCloud ?

Thanks

KKKKFL

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Non Intel based I-Mac
Thanks Razormac,
I'll try going into iPhoto on the Desk machine, also need to check and make certain that "sharing" is enabled. Ultimately, I'm trying to get photo's taken on the iPad, or my iPhone to show up in the others camera roll. I also want to be able to see the camera Roll for iPad and iPhone when I am working on a document sitting at the desk on my iMac that's running Lion.

KKKKFL

swh

Reaction score
Thanks Razormac,
I'll try going into iPhoto on the Desk machine, also need to check and make certain that "sharing" is enabled. Ultimately, I'm trying to get photo's taken on the iPad, or my iPhone to show up in the others camera roll. I also want to be able to see the camera Roll for iPad and iPhone when I am working on a document sitting at the desk on my iMac that's running Lion.

KKKKFL

Hi, Franco2Mac.

"Sharing" and PhotoStream are not the same things. You can use PhotoStream to "share" your pictures with other devices that are associated with your iCloud (Apple) ID, but it's not the same thing as "sharing" on a Mac. It's a slight, and important difference in terminology.

If you want to enable PhotoStream between your iPad, iPhone, and iPhoto you have to do the following:

#1 - Make sure you are running iOS 5 or newer on your iPhone and IPad. Make sure you are running Photo ’11 (v9.2 or later) or Aperture (v3.2 or later) on your Mac. Make sure you are running OS X 7.2 or newer on your Mac as well.

#2 - On your iPad:

Make sure you have iCloud configured on your iPad as it says here: Apple - iCloud - Learn how to set up iCloud on all your devices.

#3 - On your iPhone:

Make sure you have iCloud configured on your iPad as it says here: Apple - iCloud - Learn how to set up iCloud on all your devices.

#4 - On your iMac or any other Mac computer:

Make sure you have iCloud configured on your iMac as it says here:
Apple - iCloud - Learn how to set up iCloud on all your devices.

If you follow all of the above, you will have successfully enabled PhotoStream. Pictures taken on your iPad will show up on all of your devices (mobile and Desktop) that have Photo Stream enabled.

One more thing...there will be separate album in your Photos App on your mobile devices called Photo Stream. This album is separate from your Camera Roll. The Camera Roll is reserved for pictures that you take with your device.

For Example: when you take a picture with your iPad, that picture will appear in the iPad's Camera Roll. If you have Photo Stream enabled, it will also show up in the iPad's Photo Stream.

In iPhoto, you will have a folder or album called Photo Stream. It is located in the left hand navigation area of iPhoto under the RECENT heading. If you have set everything up correctly as described above, when you click on Photo Stream, under Recent in iPhoto, the picture you just took with your iPad should show up there.

If you're still having issues after the above description, feel free to write back, and know that going to the Apple Store for some help on your just purchased iPad is a good option as well.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Cheers,
Shawn

C

chas_m

Make sure you're running the latest, updated, version of iPhoto. Previous versions will not work with Photo Stream (even if they are running on Lion).

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Non Intel based I-Mac
I'll bet you're onto something. I never use iPhoto, and usually disregard any updates. I don't quite understand the relationship of iPhoto to the mobile devices, but its best to have everything in the latest versions. What I'm really after is to have the photo just snapped on either my iPhone, or the wife's iPad show up on each others mobile device. Showing up on the iMac that's at home is just gravy.

Thanks again.

KKKKFL

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Non Intel based I-Mac
For those following this thread, its always good to post what one does to ultimately get problems resolved. In my case, it was correcting iPhoto to the latest version, AND, making all the Accounts for iCloud identical... Computers don't do well with "Do what I mean" I remember a guy that sold a ton of key Caps each with "DWIM" emblazoned on it. Once the latest version of iPhoto was installed, and all accounts for each device were corrected, iPhoto populated.

Thanks guys..
My last hurdle will be teaching/learning how to access the Documents that my wife creates at work on the iPad. I've installed the Word application and created a test document, now where do I look for it on the home iMac?

KKKKFL

C

chas_m

Documents in the Cloud would probably be the easiest method, but she could install something like GoodReader or QuickOffice or Pages and either transfer (Wi-Fi sync) or email the documents she creates to you. Another option is to use Dropbox or something like it.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Non Intel based I-Mac
She has Pages installed on the iPad. I haven't looked at the options, but I think emailing it to her hospital webmail sounds easiest.

KKKKFL

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.