get rid of obnoxious icon on desktop

Reaction score
For some reason I got a facebook icon on my desktop. I would like to gert rid of it. draging it to the Trash can does not work.
Any suggestions?
John

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What happens if you try to move it to the Trash? Can you provide a screenshot (Shift - Command - 4)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Try Command-drag?

OP
jott
Reaction score
Normally, when I drag a desktop icon down into the thrash can it will erse the icon.
With the facebook icon I can drag it down as far as it can go, but the Dock images at the bottom do not come up, therefore I can not reach the Thrashcan.
Does this describe my problem well enough? Do yo still need a snapshot of the icon? It is just a plain ,very translucent "f"

Reaction score
Open your user folder (home) and then open the Desktop folder. What's in there? Can you drag IT to the trash?

Edit: by IT I don't mean Desktop but the "facebook" icon.

OP
jott
Reaction score
The Desktop Folder does not show the offending Icon, but it is on the Dektop shown as a translucent "f"

facebook icon.png

OP
jott
Reaction score
No, the "f" icon is not shown in the Desktop folder.
Double clicking on the Icon opens a rectangular window with the heading "Post" ,and below an empty field to write in, and at the bottom two buttons labeled "My Profile" and one labeled"Post".

C

chas_m

Is it possible that the "offending icon" is in fact part of the desktop pattern you are using? I notice it matches it perfectly ...

OP
jott
Reaction score
Is it possible that the "offending icon" is in fact part of the desktop pattern you are using? I notice it matches it perfectly ...

What do you mean by this? The Icon "f" can be moved moved arond to any location on the desktop.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What happens if you right click on that F icon? If you don't have a 2 button mouse, go control+click. Do you see Get Info? If so click on that and let us know what you see. Just a guess.

C

chas_m

Okay, it's not part of the desktop background, so my next suggestion is to restart the Mac.

Reaction score
I've never done this so I don't know; would a Dashboard widget which was left on the desktop in developer mode not show in the folder?

OP
jott
Reaction score
What happens if you right click on that F icon? If you don't have a 2 button mouse, go control+click. Do you see Get Info? If so click on that and let us know what you see. Just a guess.

I am a newbe with iMac and therefore I take all the responses to my query serious and I am grateful for the various suggestions. I will try to give answers to each response on the subject.
Control+Click does not do anything. However a double click will open a window.This is an indication that the Icon in question is legitimate and was deliberately placed on the desktop. My problem is that I just cannot remove it. Facebook might be good for a lot of people, but does nothing useful for me other than annoy me with a multitude of silly conversations with very little intelligent content.
But lets examine the functionality of this app. It permits to create messages to two different destinations. When pressing the "profile" button a list of my facebook 'friends' shows up which would allow me to send a message to the Wall of a selected friend. If pressing the "post" button instead will send the messig onto my own Wall.
So, there is nothing wrong with the intended funcionality. Facebook has a very agressive way to extend its user base. I don't like this agressivenes when it affect the working of my computer. I should be able to remove the app like any other app. But unfortunately it does not and I am trying to find out why not.
John

OP
jott
Reaction score
Okay, it's not part of the desktop background, so my next suggestion is to restart the Mac.

This is an interesting experience.The restart option brings up a window to ask me if I really want to restart and if I want to reopen windows when looged in. The checkmark for this is preset. Not having known the implications of this I let the checkmark stand. After OK the computer restarted by first displying some mysterious messages on the left lower screen part, relating to scroll area and secure password entry, I managed to get the computer up and displaying a lot of apps on the screen.that somehow I used in the past, but was not expecting them to be opened at this time because I thought that all these apps would have been properly closed at the end of my usage. So,I closed them all again and now the obnoxious "f" app was no longer on my desktop. SUCCSESS !!
Not exactly an intuative approach to get rid of an unwanted app.
I also learned from this experiment to have the ckeck mark for opening windows removed, when next time I want to restart the Computer.

OP
jott
Reaction score
I've never done this so I don't know; would a Dashboard widget which was left on the desktop in developer mode not show in the folder?

What exactly do you mean by "developer mode' ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I'm curious to know how the offending Facebook app icon got there in the first place? I use Facebook and have never seen such a thing. Surely, it didn't get there without help or intervention from someone using the computer.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
Was the icon originally on your Launchpad?

Sometimes if I'm trying to move icons within Launchpad about, the MacBook has a brain fart, and the App Icon is just left there hanging on the desktop (in a kinda "greyed out" fashion, as it is here) and the only way to get rid of it, was to restart.

Just an option as to how it got there...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

What exactly do you mean by "developer mode' ??

Developer mode Dashboard widgets do not show up in finder, they are pretty much stand alone apps.

Developer mode is where you can take widgets out of the dashboard and have them run constantly on your desktop. Which kind of sounds like what happened. If it happens again, you should be able to remove it by holding down the Option key and clicking the X button in the corner of the widget.

OP
jott
Reaction score
I'm curious to know how the offending Facebook app icon got there in the first place? I use Facebook and have never seen such a thing. Surely, it didn't get there without help or intervention from someone using the computer.

Doug

I too am curious how it got there. Checking the list of Apps in the "Finder" I cannot see any app listed that relate to Facebook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.