Apple TV 2 in demand in UK

Reaction score
I recently upgraded to the new Apple TV3 by replacing my two Apple TV2 units. Before I replaced the TV2s I upgraded their software to version 5.

I have placed my Apple TV2s on eBay where other units are being sold for, what I consider, a high price. They can often fetch nearly as much as the full retail price of the Apple TV3. I have had numerous questions from prospective bidders asking about the software version on the TV2. When informed that it is version 5 they seem to be less interested and in fact inform me that they are specifically looking for units with the older version 4 software.

An Apple retailer here in London was recently offering as much as a 50% discount off an Apple TV3 if you trade in an Apple TV2, but it must have the older software.

Anybody know what is going on?:Confused:

Reaction score
People want to "jailbreak" the Apple TV2. With version 5 of the OS, you can only do a "tethered" jailbreak, which requires you to connect the ATV2 to a computer any time you reboot the ATV2. If the ATV2 is using the older version 4 software, the jailbreak can be untethered.

People jailbreak the ATV2 so that they can install 3rd party applications like XBMC or Plex.

OP
fixerman
Reaction score
People want to "jailbreak" the Apple TV2. With version 5 of the OS, you can only do a "tethered" jailbreak, which requires you to connect the ATV2 to a computer any time you reboot the ATV2. If the ATV2 is using the older version 4 software, the jailbreak can be untethered.

People jailbreak the ATV2 so that they can install 3rd party applications like XBMC or Plex.

Thanks! Looks like I slipped up by upgrading the software to version 5.0!:Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27-inch: 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 2560 x 1440 resolution 4GB (two 2GB) memory 1TB hard drive
I am running v5.0 and have untethered jailbreak (ATV2), you cannot do this with an ATV3 at the moment which is why the ATV2 is selling for a lot more than the newer ATV3's on ebay.

Reaction score
How did they do that

How did you jailbreak the appletv2? Trying and trying with no luck. Would like to get plex and nito. I updated software to 5.0 will that be an use?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27-inch: 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 2560 x 1440 resolution 4GB (two 2GB) memory 1TB hard drive
Hi, I used Firecore seasonpass to do mine

Reaction score
Thanks. Is there a step they leave out on the site. I can't get mine done.
I go through all the steps but I don't get the fire core icon when done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you are using 5.0 or higher, you will not see a firecore logo, all you will see different is a maintenance logo. From there you can install Nito and Plex.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.