transfering windows to mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2011 15" MBP, OSx 10.8.4, Ipad 64g (2012), Iphone 4S, Ipod Nano
Hello,

I am still new to my new mac, I had bought a dell laptop a few years ago with windows vista loaded with the option to upgrade to windows 7 so when windows 7 came I out I went ahead and upgraded. I dont have any disks with this computer the only thing I got was a windows 7 upgrade disk. I have transfered everything except windows from this laptop to my new mac via external HD

my question is that I want to install windows on my mac via boot camp, can I hook my windwos laptop to my mac and transfer the windows program? I have the license for both Vista (No Disk) and windows 7.

OH my windows is 32 bit

Reaction score
No. You must purchase a new copy of Windows 7 - either a full retail install disk or a System Builder OEM disk. The latter is slightly cheaper. You can't clone or copy an existing Windows install (it won't work technically and is a violation of the license agreement to boot). Please print out and read (prior to installation and keep handy during installation) a copy of the Boot Camp installation guide, which is available for download at Apple.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro, 15", iCore 7, 8GB, Thunderbolt Display
agreed, no way to do that - guess the best thing is to sell your upgrade and buy a new windows 7 version.
are you sure you'll need windows on your mac? i mean - i just use it for 2 programs and those are from very small sites so i didn't come around but for anything else apple (or companies) offer great programs :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Also to add to the above.....

You don't want to install Windows 7 x 32 bit anyway. You would be restricted to around 3.6 GB of installed memory and not have access to the latest programs that take full advantage of the 64 bit architecture.

As Sammy pointed out, a System Builders OEM version of Windows 7 will save you some money. Amazon.com stocks it. Just be sure to buy the 64 bit version.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.