Red ring of death on Classic 120gb - help !

Reaction score
Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retire
Your Mac's Specs
iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2
My youngest son has got the dreaded red ring of death on a little-used 2 year old iPod Classic 120gb I gave him six months ago.
He has tried the suggested procedure from Apple to escape from this but nothing is happening.
Apart from taking to an Apple dealer, is there anything else he could try please ?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
The "Red X in a Circle" problem, usually indicates a hard drive failure. Thats a pretty catastrophic failure for an ipod and would need a replacement hard drive, which isn't an easy job for regular consumer.

There is however, something you could try on this site:

Red x in circle - iPod Classic - iFixit

involving bashing your ipod with the sync port on a table to realign the arm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
The "Red X in a Circle" problem, usually indicates a hard drive failure. Thats a pretty catastrophic failure for an ipod and would need a replacement hard drive, which isn't an easy job for regular consumer.

There is however, something you could try on this site:

Red x in circle - iPod Classic - iFixit

involving bashing your ipod with the sync port on a table to realign the arm.

I found this "fix" a little ridiculous sounding, but coming from iFixit, it must be valid. Read the article, and yep. This is not something I would have thought to do to a hard drive, but guess it works.

Reaction score
Their is also the Red Ring Of Death on the XBOX 360 which I fixed, but because the XBOX 360 is huge, you could probably fix the iPod aswell. I don't know how to fix it though.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I found this "fix" a little ridiculous sounding, but coming from iFixit, it must be valid. Read the article, and yep. This is not something I would have thought to do to a hard drive, but guess it works.

I love it! Get a bigger hammer. Reminds me of the times working on the 7 and 9 track tape drives on IBM big iron. When the drive hung up, we just gave it a good whack. ;D

And by the way, I've changed out the hard drive in an iPod before. Not an easy job but not so difficult that anyone who can follow directions couldn't do. The bad part is the cost of the new hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I love it! Get a bigger hammer. Reminds me of the times working on the 7 and 9 track tape drives on IBM big iron. When the drive hung up, we just gave it a good whack. ;D

And by the way, I've changed out the hard drive in an iPod before. Not an easy job but not so difficult that anyone who can follow directions couldn't do. The bad part is the cost of the new hard drive.

The Classic is pretty simple to do a drive swap on. It's not that hard to get it open.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I have replaced a hard drives on ipods before and it is rather easy. I did try what ifixit said with slapping the ipod and it did work for a few more months before it did it again. Your best bet would be to replace the hard drive.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

Haha, that's exactly what i thought when I read it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.