Hidden user account in OSx

Reaction score
Hey, i have seen similar threads to my question but thought i would start a new one being slightly more specific - is there any where i can get a list of the all hidden accounts on the Mac OSX and what they do? the reason i am asking is that a user needs to set up a specific account to test a development site - said account already exists in a hidden state and i wanted to see what its used for - whether it was necessary or if i could delete and let the user create the necessary account again unhidden so he can test what needs to be tested..
Thanks in advance.

C

chas_m

There is no reason you need to know this, and definitely no reason a user would need to utilize a hidden account to "test a development site."

The hidden accounts are used solely and exclusively by OS X and not by any other program. If you really want to learn more about UNIX, grab a book on UNIX from the library. It's all explained there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Answered above

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Hey, i have seen similar threads to my question but thought i would start a new one being slightly more specific - is there any where i can get a list of the all hidden accounts on the Mac OSX and what they do? the reason i am asking is that a user needs to set up a specific account to test a development site - said account already exists in a hidden state and i wanted to see what its used for - whether it was necessary or if i could delete and let the user create the necessary account again unhidden so he can test what needs to be tested..
Thanks in advance.

Sometimes there is safety in numbers and you can hide in the crowd.
Just make sure you don't light up like a flare.

Cheers ... McBie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.