Recently bought second-hand MacBook running Lion - no discs...

Reaction score
... And would like to restore the machine to Factory Settings as I'm upgrading slightly and passing this one on to a friend. Obviously I haven't any discs and I've read somewhere that I shouldn't have even been sold a second-hand machine running Lion, is this true? I'm a bit worried now. Is there a way for me to do a factory reset without discs? I've got a week or so to sort this out so if I need to buy anything I've time. If it matters it's the white mid-2009 model.

Also, I hope I've put this in the right place, I'm new to this Forum and to the world of Apple in general (2012 has been the year of the iPhone, iPad and MacBook for me), if I've misplaced my question I apologise and hope that a moderator will whoosh me over to the right place.

Thanks in advance.

PS, I'm almost entirely new to the way that MacBooks and OSX run in comparison to Windows systems but I am a fast learner so if this is going to be weird and technical, that's okay, just bear with me if I ask loads of questions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.