Buying a refurbed

Reaction score
For those of you who have bought a refurbed or someone that may know I am curious about the OS version. Looking at an early 11 MBP. According to the website it ships with "original" software, which is fine with me. I guess I'm asking, do they update to the newest OS or stick with what that particular machine had when it left the factory brand new. I'm still stuck in my windows ways I guess in that "if somethings not broke, don't fix it" Currently running SL and have absolutely no, zero, nada interest in going to Lion. Anybody know?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Normally the refurbished machine from Apple will ship with whatever version of OS X that was originally installed prior to its refurbishing. A 2011 MBP depending on exactly when it was originally shipped could come with Snow Leopard or Lion. If it comes with Snow Leopard, you can upgrade it to Lion from the App store for $29.99.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Snow Leopard was released August, 2009 (almost 2.5 years ago). As far as I know...Apple pretty much sells all currently selling computers with the most current OS...which in this case would be Lion.

So I would say just about any refurbished or new computer purchased in April, 2012 will have Lion on it. I looked at the current refurbished list...and some models available did originally (when they were first released) come with SL on them.

So it may be possible to "downgrade" a refurbished computer purchased today to SL if it comes with Lion. But...sometimes Apple updates the firmware to the point that even if a computer originally supported an older OS (such as SL)...and now ships with Lion...it may not be capable of being "downgraded" to SL.

And (depending on what you wanted to buy)...there are many models on the refurbished list that are new enough...that they don't even support SL.

Long story short...I think just about anything you buy from the refurbished list will have Lion on it. For $29 bucks more...you can buy a SL DVD OS install disk...and try to downgrade it to SL. But there may be some risk that it won't install (so a $29 gamble).

HTH,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Normally the refurbished machine from Apple will ship with whatever version of OS X that was originally installed prior to its refurbishing.

I seem to remember a thread 1-2 weeks ago where someone wanted to buy a Mac Pro (the model line that hasn't been updated since 2010). These 2010 Mac Pro's originally shipped with SL...but the OP in the thread said something about the 2010 Mac Pro's were shipping with Lion...and that Apple somehow "tweaked" the 2010 Mac Pro firmware to the point that downgrading to SL (the 2010 Mac Pro's original shipping OS)...was not possible.

Hopefully some other folks who have recently purchased a refurbished computer (that originally shipped with SL)...will chime in and add some details to the discussion.:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah, I remember that thread. It may well be that Apple will update the refurbs to the latest version of OS X. But like I told the OP, either way he can always update to Lion himself if SL comes installed on the machine. Personally, if I bought a 2011 refurb I would rather have SL on it and do the upgrade myself. You can always revert back that way.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Personally, if I bought a 2011 refurb I would rather have SL on it and do the upgrade myself. You can always revert back that way.

I think this is what the OP wants to do as well.:)

Stick with SL...but is concerned that a refurbished Mac will come preloaded with Lion.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
One question about refurbed newmac09. Do you mean refurbished by Apple which is the way to go, called Remanufactured by Apple which will have an RM headed serial number, or a machine refurbed by a seller on an auction site? Unless it is from Apple it may well not carry the 12 month warranty.

Reaction score
I would not assume that there will be newer software on an older refurb simply because Apple's refurb site indicates there's not.

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.8GHz Intel Core i7 - Apple Store (U.S.)

Notice on the right side under "Included Software":

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
Snow Leopard is the world’s most advanced operating system, finely tuned. It installs easily, works with the software and accessories you already have, and is more streamlined, secure, and powerful than ever.

It would be great to be surprised, but the page for this particular 2010 refurb model seems to indicate that it will come with Snow Leopard. Interestingly, though, it also states that iLife '11 will come preinstalled.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.