Recovery from Time Machine

Reaction score
I'll try to keep this brief:

- Own a mid-2009 MacBook, backed up via Time Machine (or so I thought) from Day 1.
- Time Machine backup HD is an external 1TB drive plugged into Airport Extreme; TM backups occurr over home wifi.
- MacBook damaged (water spill:\), but internal HD still OK.
- Bought new MacBook Pro (13") yesterday to replace damaged 2009 MB.
- Executed recovery from Time Machine backup HD to new MacBook Pro, all seemed to be working fine, however, discovered the backups only go to April 2010 - so I'm missing the last 2 years of data on the backup HD!
- Never any indication from TM that backup was not occurring - always got the little spinning clock when connected to home wifi, no warnings, no nuthin.

So, my new MacBook looks/acts like my old MB did 2 years ago. Are those most recent backup files somehow hidden on the external HD? Does the new OS not recognize them for some reason? Am I screwed?

Am pursuing data recovery from the old MB's internal HD, but sure would be nice to be able to use Time Machine as advertised.

Thx.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There is no telling what happened to cause the backups to stop or not show up if in fact they were made. It could have been a malfunction with the Airport Extreme or with Time Machine itself. That's why it's important to check up on Time Machine every so often to make sure that backups are being made.

Am pursuing data recovery from the old MB's internal HD, but sure would be nice to be able to use Time Machine as advertised.

Time Machine has always worked for me as advertised and for many other folks, however, as long as Murphy's Law exists, there is always a chance for something to get messed up. I hope that you'll be able to recover all your data.

OP
S
Reaction score
Understood. Looks like data recovery from the old internal HD worked OK. I'll certainly check up on Time Machine more often.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
One reason prefer SuperDuper to Time machine. With the registered version a weekly backup just updates whatever may have changed in then intervening period. Also SD is bootable to clone to a new platter HDD or for using Migration Assistant to transfer files to SSD after original operating system install.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.