Old Fusion 2 VM and Lion Upgrade

Reaction score
So I went against all logic and upgraded my iPhone to use iCloud and my iMac to Lion before doing a bit of checking first. Now I'm stuck with an older version of Fusion 2 that won't run in 64-bit and I can't access my Windows XP virtual machine.

I can't afford to lose this virtual machine. Tell me the answer is simply to upgrade to Fusion 4 and I can access Windows XP again. Do I have to migrate the VM to version 4? I've heard that the migration tool does not work in version 4. Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You should be able to upgrade Fusion from 2.X to 4.X without causing any loss of data to the XP VM. The new version of Fusion will automatically convert the VM for you. I do suggest, however, that you make a backup first with Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner before doing the upgrade.

Also check around for a good upgrade price on Fusion 4. There were several bundles that included it and other apps for around $49.99. Actually a great bargain for what you get with the extra apps.

OP
G
Reaction score
I found a promo code that got me $5 off the regular price, installed it and opened up my Win XP vm. Pretty slick, not even a bump during the whole process. Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.