Stickies App. Notes on Desktop are gone. I've searched and haven't found similar case

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I'm sort of on the verge of flipping out.

I was in class today, and as always my desktop was loaded up with stickynotes with important stuff on them etc.. etc..

We were told to download the Arduino software and plug in our Arduino's and program something.

Then class was over, arduino was removed, program closed. Computer put to sleep.
I then tried to open it again a few minutes later to try and do something quickly before my next lecture began and it wouldn't wake up. Pressed buttons etc.. didn't rouse. I closed it, giving up. And then it made the characteristic noise of the disk drive moving around. I opened it up and the screen was still blank with no login screen. I pressed the power button for a moment as that often had kicked the computer out of this odd-state in the past. Didn't work. I closed it. Then, with the screen closed, it made the boot-up splash screen audio "ahhhh" (like the clouds parted and angles came down from heaven ahh not like ahh like RUNAWAY!!! ahhh hahahaha). I ignored it, leaving it closed because I needed to attend lecture.

anyway,
I then open my computer after my next class and find that all of my stickies are gone and all thats left is one empty sticky note. I look in the "Window" menu and nothing, just the one lone sticky. I go online and follow other peoples suggestions for similar cases of going to macintosh HD/users/<my name>/Library

from there some people say go to preferences/StickiesDatabase others say just go strait to the StickiesDatabase thats under Library folder.

I double clicked it and it has this junk in it:

streamtypedÅËÑ@ÑÑÑNSMutableArrayÑÑNSArrayÑÑNSObjectÖÑiÜ

Thats it. Others were saying theirs had their notes in it but with other junk. others were saying to restore this file (how?????) others were saying to go to the preferences/com.apple.Stickies.plist and throw it onto the desktop and or delete it and reinstall stickies app

I just really need my stickies back/want to know where the **** they all ran off to.

I promise i'll never do this again.. please help.

-No I don't have time machine.

-Yes I do periodic harddrive backups but I only select my personal items' locations like documents/images/etc... and haven't (from what I can recall) backed up anything sticky-related specifically.

-I am running Mac OS X v.10.6.8 on my MacBookPro from 2006 (2.33GHz core 2 duo)

-I did software update about a week ago and since then things have seemed a little bit screwy with my computers operations... i can't specifically describe what it is though.

someone please help me!

Thanks so much

-GL

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.