Remote connection from Windows to Mac OS - VNC

Reaction score
Hi,

I have set up VNC (currently real VNC) on my mac.
It works fine, but I have one issue with it.

I have a PC with a dual monitor set up and I'm using this PC to establish a remote connection to my mac so I don't have to use two keyboards/mice/monitors etc.

The issue I have is that I cannot get VNC to output the mac display to both monitors remotely.

I have Mac OS 10.7 on a 2012 Mac Mini.
Apparently real VNC support full screen spanning to multiple monitors. I've searched through a lot of websites and forum to try to rectify this issue, but I have not had any luck.

Also, when I remote into the Mac it seems to keep on dropping the resolution from 1920x1080 to 1680x1050. I randomly have to physically connect a monitor to the Mac then change the resolution back to 1080p, after I do this then I can remote in as 1080p. However, the Mac then randomly reverts to the lower resolution. 1080p remotely is clearly supported as it works fine for a period after I physically connect a monitor.
Once it drops back to 1680x1050 - through VNC the Mac OS shows 1680x1050 as the highest resolution available.

It is probably an issue with VNC, I've tried many different VNC clients, but all seems to not work how I want. Real VNC seems to work the best for me so far.

I've also tried using "sharing screen" VNC option that is natively in the Mac OS, rather than the Real VNC server. The same issue exists.

Any ideas of a better application to span dual monitors remotely or how to keep my resolution as 1080p remotely.

I have tried using this the other way round - using the Mac as my primary machine and using the MS rdp client to establish a remote connection to the windows machine but unfortunately, the Mac Mini has a bit of difficulty doing this. I get a lot of lag and freezing. I might give this another go soon as I just set up an separate network for other stuff in which the Mac Mini is connected to via ethernet, I was using wireless before.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.