At what point does a Mac stop being a Mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
Excuse the almost Zen thread title :p

An acquaintance of mine (a friend's ex-boyfriend I still talk to when he's out) works for an Apple Authorised Reseller, and while we were talking geeky stuff he mentioned that - much like with PCs - it can work-out cheaper to build a Mac from parts (if you can be bothered) than to buy one ready-built.

Obviously, when he does this for clients his company buys all Apple parts (with the associated premiums levied by the manufacturers); but - given that it is legal to do after-market upgrades with third-party hardware - I was wondering just how much of a self-built Mac would have to be genuine Apple parts for it not to slip into the realms of being a H**kintosh? (Which I do not want to build, I just want to see if I can - as a poor student - save money on a legit Mac...)

I'm guessing generic harddisk(s) & RAM would be ok as they are often upgraded after-market, and obviously an Apple logic board (probably from a Mac Pro) would be needed; what I'm finding to be a grey area is things like DVD drives, graphics cards, the CPU(s) if not supplied with the logic board, etc. Would those parts (for legal and/or technical reasons) need to be specific Apple-branded parts, or could I use generic replacements?

Cheers for any insights :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sorry...but this is really a thinly-veiled hacintosh topic. Thread closed.

- Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.