Mirroring- can anyone help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.0 GHz 4GB RAM OSX 10.9.3
I have an imac 2.4GHz intel core 2 Duo and apple TV. A friend mirrors his iphone on his tv via apple TV but I don't seem to be able to do this. My internet connection is via ethernet (not wireless) but I have switched on my imac's wireless router function and this is picked up on my iphone. Even so, I've tried swiping the apps across the screen on the phone a few times as suggested but it just doesn't pick up apple TV. My apple TV is a recent buy and I have updated the software as suggested in the info online about how to get mirroring but nothing happens. Can anyone help?

Also can anyone tell me, when I have my imac switched on as a wireless router how can I make sure that my iphone will use this for internet access rather than its own 3G?

Thanks

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.0 GHz 4GB RAM OSX 10.9.3
Thanks but I think you misunderstood my post - I have an iphone 4S and I'm trying to get apple TV to mirror it. What I'm saying is that I'm using my imac as a wireless hub (internal airport on). I would have thought that it shouldn't matter that my imac doesn't have Lion - isn't it the case that if it's a hub it's a hub? Could this be a reason why it's not mirroring?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 13 MacBook Pro, 11" MacBook Air, 64G iPad, iPhone 4
You wi-fi system must have a central router, i.e. a hub, and all components in your system, e.g. iMac, MacBook, iPhone, Apple TV connect to the router/hub and can then talk to each other. You cannot use the iMac as a hub.

With Lion Apple have stopped using the term "Airport" for the wi-fi connection and just use the term wi-fi. Maybe they have done this as there could be confusion with stand alone hubs such as Airport Extreme.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
You wi-fi system must have a central router, i.e. a hub, and all components in your system, e.g. iMac, MacBook, iPhone, Apple TV connect to the router/hub and can then talk to each other. You cannot use the iMac as a hub.

With Lion Apple have stopped using the term "Airport" for the wi-fi connection and just use the term wi-fi. Maybe they have done this as there could be confusion with stand alone hubs such as Airport Extreme.

His iMac is acting as the router in this situation.

Thanks but I think you misunderstood my post - I have an iphone 4S and I'm trying to get apple TV to mirror it. What I'm saying is that I'm using my imac as a wireless hub (internal airport on). I would have thought that it shouldn't matter that my imac doesn't have Lion - isn't it the case that if it's a hub it's a hub? Could this be a reason why it's not mirroring?

Is the AppleTV connected to the same wireless network as your iPhone? I don't have an AppleTV, so I'm not positive on this, but is there an setting somewhere on the AppleTV to allow mirroring?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.