Macbook pro 15" I7 running very very slow!

Reaction score
Dear Mac fans,

I am the proud owner of a Macbook Pro 15" 2011, but a few days ago my charger died for the second time and when it died my Macbook powered off directly too(but I think that was because it was very low on battery). So yesterday I received my new charger and it worked with no problem the mac began charging and I turned on. Now the problems start to begin, first was the boot it took more then 5 minutes I taught that it could be possible because my macbook wasn't on for a week. But then when it was on I couldn't do anything like starting safari took more then 3mins and to click on the address bar too, or clicking on spotlight and search for a program took more then 5mins, so you probably can imagine how long it would take to start a program like Photoshop.

After this I directly entered my original snow leopard cd that came with my mac and did a fresh install. But that didn't solve anything, so I started looking on the forums and read that repairing permissions could help I did that but again no results. So I am asking can someone please help me with this issue!

My specs: I7 quad 2.0ghz, 4GB ddr3, 500GB HDD (standard), hd6490.

Thank you in advance!

Reaction score
Hi,

Try resetting the PRAM and NVRAM first:

Shut down the computer.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
Turn on the computer.
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
Release the keys.

A lot of the time resetting the PRAM and NVRAM can clear up issues like this.

Else,
I would suggest contacting Apple support. If you've reloaded the OS, this is proof there is no issue with the any software on the machine.

As doubtful as it seems a hardware issue could have arisen from this power supply fault.

You can run the Apple Hardware Test equivalent for your Mac. (Just do a google search for it)
This is a bootable CD image or you can image a USB HDD to boot AHT from USB.

Basically what it does is a full hardware check, I would suggest doing this first.

If you're not sure what this is, let me know and I'll see if I can find the correct AHT you need, as normally there are different versions of AHT for different models.

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi,

Thank's for your reply I've tried the thing what you've said about the 4 keys.My mac restarts instant and I hear the boot soud again but with no result it takes more them 5 minutes to boot and internet and everything is going very slow. I have read that you need to hold the d button for the hardware test ? I've done that but the screen stays white and when i let go off it the apple logo appears and it just tries to boot again. It litterley goes so slow that I've posted this with my iphone....

I have this macbook for a year noe and I don't have the receipt any more do can I do something whit my serial number or??

And what do you think the problem comes from ? Hdd or ram??

Btw while typing this my mac is stil trying to boot and it has restarted 3 times now by itself.

Reaction score
Oh, yeah. I forgot AHT is on the Mac CD that ships with the machine.

It is a dual boot CD: C boot the OS installer; D boots the diagnostics.
Sometimes it can take quite a while to boot, I normally just keep the key pressed until it loads, usually you can see the mouse pointer appear before the diagnostic interface actually loads. It could take several minutes to load.

When you do PRAM/NVRAM reset, it should reboot a few times, you should hear a couple of chimes.

All you need is the serial number, Apple support can open a support case with only the serial number.

As for the hardware, it could be anything. A logic board, ram, cpu, hdd can all possibly have these symptoms. I would take a guess at the logic board the the mag safe connector (power adapter input) is attached to the logic board, I think it might actually be part of the logic board in your model.

OP
P
Reaction score
Allright thank you for your fast response. It is now entering safe mode I just wan't to chek if that sill runs. I am going to try the AHT after. I will update you soon!

OP
P
Reaction score
Ok, so i've let the test run and this is what I've got as result; 4HDD/11/40000000:SATA(0,0) so I suppose my HDD is broken?

Reaction score
It sounds like the HDD is failing, give Apple support a call. They will sort out getting the HDD replaced for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.