Can the Apple TV be used with MacBooks?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

What I want to do is be able to stream my MacBook Pro laptop wirelessly onto my television. Right now what I have to do is actually manually plug the HDMI cable into my laptop (using an adapter of course since MacBooks don't have an HDMI port), and it would be nice to just have it work over wifi. Is this possible with the Apple TV, or is the Apple TV for iOS devices only?

Thanks for any help!

James

Reaction score
I Tried a lot to do that but could not. I could not get any considerable information even from google. Let me know if you succeed in using apple TV with your Mac book.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme
Hi everyone,

What I want to do is be able to stream my MacBook Pro laptop wirelessly onto my television. Right now what I have to do is actually manually plug the HDMI cable into my laptop (using an adapter of course since MacBooks don't have an HDMI port), and it would be nice to just have it work over wifi. Is this possible with the Apple TV, or is the Apple TV for iOS devices only?

Thanks for any help!

James
It works fine with Apple TV. Just have to make sure your AppleTV is connected to your wireless network. Go into network settings and select your network. Then in ITunes select devices. You should see the AppleTV. You will have to input a code that will be generated by AppleTv when you first try to sync it with your Mac. This is assuming you are using the AppleTV1. I don't have the AppleTV2 so not sure how that would work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
It works fine with Apple TV. Just have to make sure your AppleTV is connected to your wireless network. Go into network settings and select your network. Then in ITunes select devices. You should see the AppleTV. You will have to input a code that will be generated by AppleTv when you first try to sync it with your Mac. This is assuming you are using the AppleTV1. I don't have the AppleTV2 so not sure how that would work.

I'm not sure if the OP means he wants to mirror his MB desktop to the ATV or just do standard streaming. If it's the latter, you are correct. If it's the former, he'll have to wait for Mountain Lion.

Reaction score
I recently bought Airparrot to use with My Macbook Air on Lion and it didn't do Audio. HOwever, they have since added that feature it and it's great now. No need to wait for the the OS update!

Enjoy

Reaction score
Apple Tv

Hello all, i have a MacBook, not a MacBook Pro, just a MacBook and i have installed Mountain lion installed on it Version 10.8. Am i able to use my Apple TV to wirelessly show on my TV what is shown on my laptop. For example if i have a movie playing on my laptop and i wanna play it on the Tv, am i able to use apple TV to wirelessly present the movie on my Laptop to my Tv?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme
You can use air parrot on your MacBook if you have Apple TV version 2 or 3.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.