Does new iPhoto app on iOS allow manual PhotoStream upload?

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first post here. Just wondering whether the new iPhoto app on the iPad allows photos to be manually uploaded to PhotoStream? iPhoto on my Mac now lets us add only the pics we want to PhotoStream, but the generic Photos app on the iPad uploads everything automatically.

The reason I'm asking is because I was planning on buying the iPhoto app, and I would like to first edit the pics that i take on my iPad, then upload them to PhotoStream so that I can copy them to my desktop later on. It is just too cumbersome having to take photos with the iPhone or iPad, take them to my Mac and edit them there, and then finally having to delete the originals on the iOS device and replace them with the edited ones.

C

chas_m

iPhoto for iOS has no control over Photo Stream. If you save the pictures to the Camera Roll and photo stream is on, they will be in the photo stream.

OP
G
Reaction score
Well that sucks. For the ten bucks you pay, I was expecting more features. Its too much of a hassle to edit pictures on the Ipad and have them synced between all iOS or Mac OS devices.

C

chas_m

I think you're misunderstanding me (also, iPhoto for iOS is $5, not $10).

If you edit your photo in iPhoto for iOS, it is saved back to the Camera Roll. If you have Photo Stream turned on on other devices, everything in your Camera roll is automatically synced to those devices. So there is no "hassle."

Reaction score
It is a Hassle

I have recently returned from overseas. I put all my digital SLR photos onto iPad and edited them with iPhoto for iOS - which was an exceptional experience. So far so good.

However, none of my edited photos appear in Photo Stream (Hassle #1). If I transfer my edited photos to Camera Roll (Hassle #2) then they will sync with iPhoto on my Mac (however, it also syncs the original unedited version of the photo that is also sitting in Camera Roll) (Hassle #3). Moreover, the file size of the sync'd edited photo is Miles smaller than the version that is sitting on my iPad (Hassle #4). I have also used the other method suggested by Apple, ie "sharing via iTunes" from iPhoto for iOS and syncing back to my Mac (Hassle #5). This worked in getting my edited photos onto my Mac, however quite randomly half of them are tiny (e.g. 170 KB) and the other half are the size they should be (e.g. 6.1 MB) (Hassle #6).

Regardless of the price of iPhoto for iOS. It should be much simpler to transfer photos from iPhoto to iPhoto without loss of quality or duplication, etc.

PS, I love Apple, my iPad and iPhoto. It simply needs to be tighter

C

chas_m

However, none of my edited photos appear in Photo Stream (Hassle #1).

Something's wrong then. iPhoto doesn't give you an option of saving your edited photos anywhere BUT Camera Roll (there's no "transferring" to do). Maybe you don't have Photo Stream turned on on your device?

(however, it also syncs the original unedited version of the photo that is also sitting in Camera Roll) (Hassle #3).

So you're saying you want iPhoto to overwrite your original photos?? No, really, you don't want that.

This worked in getting my edited photos onto my Mac, however quite randomly half of them are tiny (e.g. 170 KB) and the other half are the size they should be (e.g. 6.1 MB) (Hassle #6).

As I thought: something's not right there. Maybe time to do some maintenance on your Mac.

Reaction score
Something's wrong then. iPhoto doesn't give you an option of saving your edited photos anywhere BUT Camera Roll (there's no "transferring" to do). Maybe you don't have Photo Stream turned on on your device?

Within iPhoto you need to manually "share" edited photos to the Camera Roll. Just as you would "share" them to Facebook, iTunes, Print. ie using the Share function in top right hand corner.

PhotoStream definitely turned on as my "Camera Roll" is streaming to my Mac as we speak. ie all the crappy unedited photos that I don't want :(

So you're saying you want iPhoto to overwrite your original photos?? No, really, you don't want that.

Yes really I do. If I straighten a crooked photo, crop it, and correct the exposure then it's definately the edited photo that I wish to preserve forever. I'm just a dude with a camera and iPad, I'm not a pro and I can live without the original.

Having said that, I do appreciate your concern and heed your warning :)

As I thought: something's not right there. Maybe time to do some maintenance on your Mac.

Agreed. Any clues amigo? FYI, I was stoked when iPhoto for iOS arrived as I thought it would liberate me from dragging my Mac around when travelling (ie for the purpose of saving and editing my travel pix). Hence, any help would be appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.