iPhone doesn't connect to wifi unless the laptop is ON!

Reaction score
Hi all,
I always thought that there was something wrong with my wireless home wifi. It connects to all the computers, printer and laptops wirelessly but NOT my iphone. Till just recently, i noticed that my iphone actually connects to the home wifi ONLY when my laptop is switched ON!
has anyone encountered such a problem before?
what can i do so my iphone simply connects to the home wireless wifi without having me to switch the laptop on each time :)
Thank you for your help:Confused:!

Reaction score
This is a quite strange issue. I would see a reason why turning on the laptop would prevent the iPhone from connecting (duplicate ip, for example). But the opposite? Strange. On your question, try to add more details. What kind of router, is there a matter of distance to router involved, which channel is the wifi using, this kind of things.

Reaction score
I guess you have already tried to reset the WiFi-Settings on your iPhone? Also check, if the iPhone appears on the list of connected devices on your router, when it seems to be connected.

Reaction score
As is stated in the comments, it sounds like you have set the iphone to connect to your laptop.

Here's my suggestion on how to resolve it.

Make sure your laptop is on
Go into settings --> Wi-Fi
Click on the Blue Arrow, next to the connected network
Choose Forget this network
Shut down your laptop
Reconfigure your iphone, to use your wi-fi network.
The key is to forget the old network, and shut down your laptop, to prevent the same mistake that happened last time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.