External HD problem, not recognized

Reaction score
I have an iomega external hd that I attempted to connect to my new macbook pro today. It has been working fine on my older macbook, but as soon as I connected it via usb to my new comp, it said something about backing up with time capsule, to which I said no. Now, I can't get the hd to work on any computer. I have tried again on my old macbook (doesn't work) and on another macbook pro. This is what happens when I connect it:
-After a couple mins, I get the message "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer"
-After this, it is visible in Disk Utility, but I am unable to verify or repair (boxes grayed out)
-It says:
-SMART status: Not supported
-Partition Map scheme: Unformatted
-Finder shows nothing at all of the external hd

Cord is not the problem, so not sure what my options are at this point. I appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks!

OP
C
Reaction score
I have an iomega external hd that I attempted to connect to my new macbook pro today. It has been working fine on my older macbook, but as soon as I connected it via usb to my new comp, it said something about backing up with time capsule, to which I said no. Now, I can't get the hd to work on any computer. I have tried again on my old macbook (doesn't work) and on another macbook pro. This is what happens when I connect it:
-After a couple mins, I get the message "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer"
-After this, it is visible in Disk Utility, but I am unable to verify or repair (boxes grayed out)
-It says:
-SMART status: Not supported
-Finder shows nothing at all of the external hd

Cord is not the problem, so not sure what my options are at this point. I appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
This part of your error message:
… suggests that you either have deleted the partitions on the drive, or the partition map got corrupt somehow, or there is a more serious hardware failure of the drive. Can you post a screen cap of Disk Utility with that drive selected so we can be sure?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What does it show on the Partition tab?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please do not cross post. Only post to one forum and continue with the same thread. Your cross post has been merged.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Partition screenshot

As suspected… your partition was deleted. Whatever data you had on that drive is lost. Click the + icon at the bottom to create a new one. Use Mac OS Extended (journaled).

OP
C
Reaction score
So is there any way at all to recover the data? I had some very important files on the drive...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So is there any way at all to recover the data? I had some very important files on the drive...

Probably not. You can try Disk Drill. I know it can recover erased files, but I'm not sure how it handles files from deleted partitions. It's a free download and you only have to pay for it if it finds files that can be recovered.

In the future, keep a backup of important files to a separate drive. Always always always have back ups, regular backups, of your important files.

Reaction score
Hello

Hello,

This is the closest I have come to finding something similar to my issue; Apart from the fact that my Partition Map Scheme is saying Master Boot Record...

Any clues to what this might mean?

Thanks in advance!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.