How do I see stuff on my external hard drive?

Reaction score
I have a MacBook. It's telling me I can't sync more pics from my iPhone to iPhoto because my startup disc is full. I bought a WD 2T external hard drive. It took about 4 hours to back up my stuff onto it. I don't understand how it works. Why can't I just save stuff to it instead of having to do backups? I want to delete stuff off my MacBook and use it to add new data and access old data on the ext HDD. But it wants to RESTORE to my MacBook, which is stupid because then it would be full again. Help!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You must have used the 2 TB drive for backup with either the Western Digital program or Time Machine and that's why it backed up everything from the MacBook internal drive to the external 2 TB.

If you want to use the WD drive for copying and saving files then don't use it as a backup drive. If you wish, you can erase the drive with Disk Utility and start over but this time don't use it for backing up.

OP
A
Reaction score
Sounds good, but I didn't see any other options....I'm still at work, and will have to do it when I get home. Will let you know what happens...I think I should wipe what I saved onto it yesterday. Have got it all on Time Capsule anyway, so no need to have another back up device. I thought TC would have the facility to select single files for viewing, and that's why I got it...salesman saw me coming! But it's nice to have a back up in case of disasters. Now I just want to save to another disk. Wish me luck... :Blushing:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.