Just switched....2 quick questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" Imac
Well I switched about 2 months ago. got a g5 imac but I have 2 quick questions.

1. I've been installing lots of software as I'm trying to find mac alternatives to me windows software. is there anything like add/remove programs for the mac? or a quick way of removing stuff I've installe.

2. Is it possible to have profiles or identities with Mail? My wife and I share the imac and we both have exchange accounts. I know we can have seperate logins but thats a pain in the **** just for email.

any help much appreciated.

Brian

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
BrianjG said:
1. I've been installing lots of software as I'm trying to find mac alternatives to me windows software. is there anything like add/remove programs for the mac? or a quick way of removing stuff I've installed
In most cases all you need to do, is drag the program to the trash.

OP
BrianjG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" Imac
really? thats simple? no looking for stupid folders and orphan files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Nope, that's one of the many awesome things about OSX.

Just trash the application. Empty the trash. Gone.

There is one file on most applications called "programname.plist" which is a list of your preferences, but this file is usually about 2KB and is not necessary to delete, but you might as well.

If you have Tiger, just Spotlight the application name and it will bring up that .plist.

As for the Mail issue, you do have seperate accounts right? Just go to Mail>Preferences and set up two accounts.

Welcome to Mac :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
BrianjG said:
no looking for stupid folders and orphan files?

Well of course, because Apple, ha, forget that story.

The orphan files are usually preference files in your Library/Preferences folder and perhaps some others in your Library/Application Support folder. I think that is the name. I'm, unfortunately, not at a Mac right now.

These possible orphans do not run, they are just support files, so all they do is take up a little bit of room.

It is possible some applications use the system locations for those files, but rare.

OP
BrianjG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" Imac
I cant add a second exchange account. the only options for the second one are pop and imap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
BrianjG said:
2. Is it possible to have profiles or identities with Mail? My wife and I share the imac and we both have exchange accounts. I know we can have seperate logins but thats a pain in the **** just for email.

Mail can handle multiple e-mail accounts. Go to Preferences in Mail and just add an account. I currently have 5 accounts. One for work when I log into there, and others on the wilds of the internet.

If you share an account, you could use smart folders or rules to help a little in figuring out who the mail is directed to, if it has some obvious sign. Rules allows you to color code e-mails I think, and diffinately allows you to move mail to another mail folder.

OP
BrianjG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" Imac
guys, I know I can add multiple pop and imap account but we connect to a MS Exhcange server. MAPI. It doesnt give me the option to add 2 exchange accounts.

Plus the rules idea would be more hassle then what I looking for.we would prefer to keep all mail seperate If needs be I'll use something else beside mail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
BrianjG said:
guys, I know I can add multiple pop and imap account but we connect to a MS Exhcange server. MAPI. It doesnt give me the option to add 2 exchange accounts.

Plus the rules idea would be more hassle then what I looking for.we would prefer to keep all mail seperate If needs be I'll use something else beside mail.

This might help. You might also look into 'Fast User Switching'

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.